Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Default Re: Removing Nuts!!!!

here is a trick i have used over the years to lossen old steam line pipes. spray it with penetrating oil, let it soak, then a little heat, and then tryTIGHTENING it a tad, then try to unscrew it. not kidding, this works sometimes!
    p.s don't forget the persuader bar.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 4100 HST, Craftsman YS4500

I had the same problem on my JD 261 RFM blades the first season !
    It was because the dealer put the blades on with an impact wrench, so
    I went to the Home Depot and asked them how much for the cheapest
    impact wrench ? It was like $ 20 and I am now on my 3rd season
    using it and it works great.

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is the best method I have seen...courtesy of John Miller III.

)</font>

Looks like a good reason to buy "snap-On Tools".
    Steve

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Thanks for all the advice. Sprayed with penetrant two days, rapped with hammer and tried Tbar with a 4' cheater pipe as suggested. It was a piece of cake. I hope some novice comes along someday and asks me how to remove a rusted nut and this old timer will have the answer!! Yehaw!!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Briarwood

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

That pic of John's reminds me of overhauling boilers in the oil fired Navy. I remember six young men trying to stop a flange from weeping. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

Although I had read this thread as it progressed, this eveing I saw the title and got worried...

After being erased twice when [and after?] that hard disk failed a couple weeks ago...I saw the tread title and thought, man, now they are going to get selective in this erasing thing...here I go again... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

When you bust the socket or the breaker bar and you take it back to Sears, don't tell them ypu used a pipe on it. Especially one THAT LONG!!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Tractor
    TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans

Yep. That is a nonwaranty activity to say the least.

I will say that the 3/4" sears stuff is pretty hard to break. It would take quite a large gorilla and a very long pipe....

Of course you may need to take out a loan when you see the cost of a set.

Fred

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

The 3/4 drive brings to mind an interesting story......

A number of years ago, I broke a front spring on a Freightliner tractor I had. The cap nuts on the u-bolts were 1-1/2". I torched off the old U bolts, replaced the spring and installed new cap bolts ant U bolts. Anyway, I didn't have a large enough impact to produce the 500 lb/ft torque that the nuts required so I took a Sears 3/4 drive 1-1/2" socket, breaker bar and a long pipe and applied it to the cap nuts. Because the nuts are under the truck in the front, I had my wife hold the socket and bar up so it wouldn't fall off. As I tightened it up, the socket broke and a peice of it went zinging past my wife's head at the speed of light. It grazed her forehead, right above the hairline. Bleeding profusely and calling me everything under the sun she went into the house. After she calmed down, I asked her if I got a new socket, if she'd hold it so I could make sure it was tight. You know what her answer was. I think I had pop tarts for dinner that night!!

By the way, I took the socket to my local Sears and Grabbuck and they exchanged it!!

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( don't tell them ypu used a pipe on it )</font>

There are some times you just have to use a little "discretion" and not mention all you know. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] However, considering the average torque on a 1-1/2" nut, if I manufactured a socket for it and guaranteed it, I wouldn't make that socket rated at much less torque than the nut/bolt it fits. Of course, my shiny chrome Craftsman sockets are not impact sockets either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ...so I just use 'em and hope I don't break 'em. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Even if I the socket is guaranteed, there's nothing like the inconvenience of having to drive 50 miles to the nearest sears store to get the socket replaced while the job sits idle and undone. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ...Hey! Wait!...Do you think I could use a big pipe wrench and the cheater pipe? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast