Removing Nuts!!!!

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #1  

Briarwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Got your attention, huh? This is probably a pretty stupid question but it comes from one not very mechanical. I'm trying to remove the 1 3/4" nuts that hold the blades on my Woods rotary mower. They are rusted tight and I can't budge them. Have sprayed them with a penetrating lubricant. Is there a secret or do I just need enough brute force on the end of the wrench? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had open heart surgery 6 months ago and just don't have the strength I used to. Could they be reverse thread? Help.
Briarwood

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( do I just need enough brute force on the end of the wrench? )</font>

Yep, either a good air impact wrench or a long, strong pipe on the end of a strong wrench. I don't know of any with left handed threads (not to say they couldn't exist). Heating them a bit with a torch might help.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #3  
Spray the threads with your favorite penetrating oil and rap the flats with a hammer quite sharply many times. That'll usually free them up enough to turn them. Use care to strike the flats squarely.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #4  
Here is the best method I have seen...courtesy of John Miller III.

268991-KK6ft%20blade%20holder-505.jpg

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #5  
Go to the auto parts store and get some p.b. blaster,spray them wait an hour then use the large wrench.I've been an auto mechanic over 30 yrs. and this stuff is the best i've ever seen /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #6  
Yep, get the PB Blaster. It eats corrosion for lunch.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #7  
Since these bolts are on a rotary cutter, I'd agree with Bird. A long 'cheater' pipe should work fine. An air impact would be easier but to get one with enough torque would be pretty expensive.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #8  
I agree with spraying them with PB Blaster. Soak it, shock it with a hammer. Wait 'till tomorrow, spray and shock again. If that won't work, then get out the ol' smoke wrench. Even MAPP gas will work. Heat the nut 'till it's almost red and get the socket wrench on it. Will turn off with no fuss. Too much twisting on the nut with a wrench 'extension' when cold may snap the stud.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #10  
Those nuts torque to 425 or so pounds- feet, don't they? In that case the rust is just a distraction. You need a long cheater pipe or now's the chance to buy one of those super duty imact wrenches they came out with in the last few years.