Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #1  

mlswr

Tractor
Landini Atlas 75
I have a Landini Atlas 75 tractor and the power steering fluid is squirting out of the oil reservoir breather hole the fluid is not aerated and it will ooze out immediately from a cold start, when the tractor is turned off the fluid drains back until the reservoir is nearly empty the tractor does not have power assisted steering I think it must be hydrostatic. Any help on this problem will be appreciated.

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #2  
Replace the filter. Classic plugged return filter symptoms.

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole
Hi RickB, thanks for your reply I removed the filter and started the tractor for 30 seconds the oil is still pouring out the breather hole

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #4  
If you have a PS cooler, check that it is not obstructed (internally). Saw this problem at my buddy's shop just yesterday on a Ford Expedition (truck).

Bypassed the cooler on this truck for now, as it is a non-issue this time of year here (Canada). OE replacement part on order.

Other than as a temporary test, can't say I'd recommend running your PS with a cooler bypass - your temperatures are quite a bit different than mine !

Good luck, D.

Thanks Dave for your reply, the tractor doesn't have a power steering cooler. In a couple of days I will undo all return lines (it is teeming with rain here at the moment) to see if they are blocked, other than that I don't know what to do.

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #6  
Next thought is water contamination, but if the oil is not aerated or foaming, that is probably out.

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #7  
Are you sure you haven't lost the cork/rubber gasket from the lid ? It also acts as a baffle to stop agitated oil from getting flung at the breather hole .

The last time I started the tractor the oil was aerated I think that is because it pushes so much oil out the breather hole and when I stop the tractor the oil drains from the reservoir back into the line causing air to be trapped in the system. I will check for water, the lowest point is the hydraulic pump I will undo the lines and drain the oil.
I think I am a bit brain dead in my comment to Dave I said (In a couple of days I will undo all return lines it is teeming with rain here at the moment to see if they are blocked) The return line is where the oil is coming back to the reservoir and pushing out the vent hole so they cant be blocked... sorry all.

Thanks for your reply, I haven't checked if the gasket is still in the lid, I didn't know that it acts as a baffle to stop agitated oil from getting flung at the breather hole. I will check it out tomorrow.

/ Power steering fluid squirting out of the oil Reservoir breather hole #10  
The power steering pump is a centrifical pump and will draw air into the system threw the shaft seal. I would replace the return hose first, if that does not do it then, it is the pump, you can buy a rebuild kit for most pumps, if the shaft is worn a rebuilt is cheaper.
Just a thought!