intek 18.5 briggs will not start

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #1  

raderb

Tractor
craftsman 18.5 Briggs and Strattion intek
I rebuilt my 18.5 Intek Briggs and Strattion. The connecting rob broke from being to low on oil. I put it back together and it wouldn't start. I took it back apart thinking I had timing off it was correct. I have checked valves, new flywheel key and I am at a loss.

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #2  
:welcome:

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #3  
Well start with the three basics combustion fuel and spark.

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start
I have good spark and the plug is wet with gas. One thing I did notice was that the fuel filter is only 1/3 full. I am not sure if that is normal.

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #5  
I have good spark and the plug is wet with gas. One thing I did notice was that the fuel filter is only 1/3 full. I am not sure if that is normal.

Clean the plug and shoot some starting fluid in

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #6  
Clean the plug and shoot some starting fluid in

Got to agree here. Shoot some carb cleaner or starting fluid into it. If it fires you have a fuel/carb problem.
If it dosent, then Spark, Timing(which you double checked) or could be valve adjustment is off. Check flywheel key,
coils installed right.

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #7  
Following up on Sox3 - What did you set the valve clearances at?
I had to go buy a new shim set to get thin enough shims for the .004/.006 settings right on my 21HP.

/ intek 18.5 briggs will not start #8  
Check the compression with the throttle open. Maybe piston size or rings installed wrong? Also,make sure valve spring not broken. don-ohio :)^)