Tractor
    New Holland 1725

Default New Holland 1725 Starting problem

I have owned the tractor for 9 years. (bought new) recently the key switch failed and I replaced it. At the same time starting was a problem. The glow plug light comes on. The tractor takes much cranking and produces blue grey smoke but no start until it has been cranked for some time. Runs fine after that. Do I have to take the injector tubes off from all three plus their origin in order to remove the plug? Any other ideas for problems? Thank you.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Allis Chalmers ED 40

Default Re: New Holland 1725 Starting problem

I would suspect that the glow plugs are not getting power. The light may be on, but maybe the system is not actually powering the glowplugs. You should check them with a testlight or voltmeter before replacing anything. I'm not sure about your injector tube question - the glow plugs should be threaded into the cylinder head, one for each cylinder with wires connecting them in a parallel circuit. 12v should be present at each when the switch and relay/timer are activated. Removing the injector lines may provide a bit more access to them should their removal be necessary, but will require more bleeding and cranking when reinstalled later, so with starting an issue already, I would not disturb them if at all possible.

Tractor
    New Holland 1725

[QUOTE=Harry in Ky;3167421]I would suspect that the glow plugs are not getting power. The light may be on, but maybe the system is not actually powering the glowplugs. You should check them with a testlight or voltmeter before replacing anything. I'm not sure about your injector tube question - the glow plugs should be threaded into the cylinder head, one for each cylinder with wires connecting them in a parallel circuit. 12v should be present at each when the switch and relay/timer are activated. Removing the injector lines may provide a bit more access to them should their removal be necessary, but will require more bleeding and cranking when reinstalled later, so with starting an issue already, I would not disturb them if at all possible.[/QUOTE Thank you for the reply. Dave]

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

Dave,
    Use a test light to see if you are getting power there as Harry said. If not, do the usual and check the fuses etc, but you may have a faulty timer. I've heard of lots of guys having the same type of issue. Not a cheap piece, but you can get it here.
    New Holland Glow Plug timer relay SBA385870301
    Messicks also has it.
    The forums are a great place to find information....but also a great place to find speculation. Only you can determine the real problems with your tractor. We're here to help you find the correct way to do it.