Kioti lk 3054 hard start

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #1  

hitts427

Bronze Member
Tractor
kioti lk 3054
I'm having a cold start problem.New glow plugs,switch,glow plug coil indicator.When I run a voltage check on the glow plugs it reads 5.5.I hear I should be showing 10.5.I have to heat the plugs close to two minutes to start in the cold.The dealer says 25 seconds should be plenty.Any ideas of where to go next?Thanks in advance.Ken:confused3:

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #2  
I'm having a cold start problem.New glow plugs,switch,glow plug coil indicator.When I run a voltage check on the glow plugs it reads 5.5.I hear I should be showing 10.5.I have to heat the plugs close to two minutes to start in the cold.The dealer says 25 seconds should be plenty.Any ideas of where to go next?Thanks in advance.Ken:confused3:

You have a high resistance joint. So the voltage is dropping to the 5.5 volts. Take readings starting on the battery posts themselves. NOT the battery clamps. Measure right on top of the posts. Get an assistant to operate the tractor and you take the readings. Move down the line taking readings. Could be the battery cables themselves. Very likely. Or could be the connections to the frame of the tractor or the could easily be the Glow plug relay connections. But somewhere you have a high resistance connection that is dropping the voltage available to the glow plugs, provided you don't have a "nearly shorted" glow plug that is dragging down the voltage. But you mentioned replacing the glow plugs. Keep in mind with the high currents we are talking about here likely 60 amps that the glow plugs would draw if placed across the battery, it takes very little resistance in the path to result in a large voltage drop. Just a little over .1 ohms of resistance would result in a 7 volt drop. So everything must be clean and tight and unburned to allow the proper current to flow to the plugs to get the proper heating. Prove this to yourself, take the glow plug rail loose from all of the plugs, and run through the glow plug cycle, and undoubtedly you will have 12.6 volts on the glow plug rail but as soon as you try to draw the approximately 60 amps of current that the glow plugs would normally draw the voltage drop will occur.

James K0UA

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start
Thanks Koua, I'll check it out tomorrow.You've given me some good places to start.Ken

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #4  
Once again, most inexpensive way out is a $50 block heater. Starts like summer time.

I would agree IH3444 but my dealer says that block heaters,at least the ones that go in the radiator hose will dry out the cylinders and could cause a problem.I guess it makes sense.I went to start mine today and had to use the glow plug so long that I started to melt the dash and then I touched it to see if it really was hot and burnt my dang finger.Been trying to chase down wires but so far no luck.I'm tempted to go to TSC(tough sh&t charlies and get a water in line water heater.

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #6  
Block heater that goes in one of the expansion plugs"freeze plugs"are the best ones to use if you can.You could also consider a magnetic oil pan heater if your oil pan is steel

Koua,I went through some of those steps and long story short I took out 2 (3rd one behind fuel line) glow plugs and hooked them in series to the power wire off tractor.I turned on preheat switch and they lit up in 10 seconds.Not sure about taking the 3rd won out now.So I think there working when in the head.So probably compression check now ? Darn it.lol

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #8  
Koua,I went through some of those steps and long story short I took out 2 (3rd one behind fuel line) glow plugs and hooked them in series to the power wire off tractor.I turned on preheat switch and they lit up in 10 seconds.Not sure about taking the 3rd won out now.So I think there working when in the head.So probably compression check now ? Darn it.lol

But you said the measured voltage on the Glow Plug rail was 5.5 volts. and that ain't right. I still say the glow plugs are not getting sufficient voltage to make the heat they need to make. And if the voltage on the battery posts is about 12 during the glow plug cycle. and 5.5 on the rail. by definition you have a high resistance connection to cause a 7 volt voltage drop. Just because they light up does not mean they work properly, and produce the required amount of heat.

James K0UA

Thanks for hanging in there Koua.You can probably tell I'm a newbie at electrical.I bought my first volt meter for this job.I'm mostly working alone but did get my grandson to turn key a couple times.That's why I had the bright idea of pulling glow plugs to test.I will reread your posts and this weekend when I can get some help I will be going over the steps again.Snow coming tomorrow and wanted to get this thing going.Ken

/ Kioti lk 3054 hard start #10  
I would agree IH3444 but my dealer says that block heaters,at least the ones that go in the radiator hose will dry out the cylinders and could cause a problem.I guess it makes sense.I went to start mine today and had to use the glow plug so long that I started to melt the dash and then I touched it to see if it really was hot and burnt my dang finger.Been trying to chase down wires but so far no luck.I'm tempted to go to TSC(tough sh&t charlies and get a water in line water heater.

What's there to dry out in the cylinders? Are you operating underwater? I think your dealer is shinning you on!

Block heaters are offered by the OEM and rad hose heaters, while not as effective as block heaters, just heat the water jackets like a regular block heater.