Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #1  

sonichead

Tractor
Massey FE35X
Hi All,
First of all thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post. I'm new to this so you will have to be patient with me. I have recently bought a Massey Ferguson fe35x which I love great little tractor with lots of fond memories from my younger years. In all its in great shape not sure the year but think it's 1964 or so the seller told me. So to my question Tachometer is not working and I'm planning on replacing it over the weekend. Is there any procedure I should follow, the cable looks completely knackered so perhaps that is the first job ill tackle? Is it a straight forward job any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I dont have a maintenance manual for it that will have to be my next purchase.
Again thanks,

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #2  
Is this a gas or diesel? They had both in that tractor. Must be a diesel if you have a cable driven tach huh?

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #3  
Gas model ran off the generator to the tach via square cable. available aftermarket via tisco.....similar to TO/MF 35's

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #4  
G'day pull the cable off the back of the tach and pull it out so you can see it then start the tractor and see if it is turning if it is then it is the tach at fault, if the cable is not turning then pull it from where it mounts to the engine and see if the inner is intact if it is then start her up again and make sure the drive is turning. They are a pretty simple setup on both petrol and diesel ones and your local sparex or bepco dealer shoud have all the parts aftermarket that you will need to fix it.

Jon

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment
Hello All,
Thanks for all your replies, yes it is a Diesel 3 cylinder model. I have sourced a replacement Tach and cable and hoping to tackle it on Thursday weather permitting. I have a feeling it may be the cable though looked very loose at the engine and when I unscrewed it just had a short piece of wire which came out in my hand (end looked broken). Is there much involved in fitting a new cable? How does it attach to the engine any fear the old pieces are stuck in there. Will keep you posted on my progress and let you know how I get on. Again thanks for all the responses help much appreciated.
B

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #6  
G'day if you have unscrewed the old cable from the engine then just screw the new one on, the short bit of cable you have got will be the broken bit you may have to turn the inner a little to get the square drive to line up.

Jon

Hi Jon,
So just a quick update new clock fitted old one completely worn out, also cable for tacho was also shot. New issue I have encountered now is the old end of the tacho cable is broken off were it enters the back of the cam shaft and it would appear to be well stuck in there and not much room to try and pick it out. I may have to look at alternative tacho drive if I can’t remove. I’m soaking with liberating oil not giving up just yet. It’s never as straight forward as it appears. I have removed the tacho housing cover to try gain a little better access but will just have to persevere. Ill keep you posted.
B

/ Massey Ferguson FE35x Tachometer Cable Replacment #8  
G'day if you have got the plate off that the cable screws onto ( should have three bolts holding it on ) then the drive should pull out of the cam to make it easier.

Jon

So the update,
After a long and persistent battle with a hook and pick set I eventually coaxed the broken end of the cable out of the cam shaft. I did remove the tacho housing cover which did improve access. However to get a clean straight run at the cam end I needed to remove the air cleaner and associated brackets. Good news is new clock now fitted and running perfectly. Thanks for all the advice and help very much appreciated. Now to the next Job rear Axle shaft inner seal replacement!! Oil leaking on to net brake drum, any advice on this one? Might be a new post.
Thanks B