Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2-Kubota B7100s

Default Re: Battery connected backwards

Quote Originally Posted by puckgrinder85 View Post
    I would contact the dealer and see what they'll do. If nothing at least you'll have some leverage if something should go wrong down the road.
    I bought it really cheap. Basically sold as is. The dealer never touched it. He took it as a trade in and unloaded it at my house. I deal with them a lot I might mention it in passing to him but if he never got to work on the tractor I would not expect him to stand behind this. It is still a great tractor in really good condition for its age. I was just looking for info on reversing back the battery.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK27, 1940s Farmall A

Here's some information of reverse charging of a lead acid battery:
    Battery Myth | Can a Battery
    ....So let me restate: The only way for a battery that has a positive charge, to reverse itself, is for the battery to be completely discharged, and then reversed charged. We have seen this happen a couple of times, and it would be considered the more common of these rare situations.

For all intents and purposes, the battery will be ruined. You could technically charge it up, negatively, and continue to use it, but your plates are designed with the positive plates being lead dioxide, and the negative being composed of a sponge lead, which would now be reversed. Because the reversed battery is no longer formatted correctly, it will only work to a limited degree.....

-------------------
    Sounds like a new battery might be a good choice in the near future.

Good luck,
    Loren
    Kioti CK27 gear w/Loader
    1940s Farmall A

12 acres, wife and dog Phoebe

Tractor
    new holland tn70

I would get a new battery as soon as possible before that one short's out inside and burn's stuff up.the plates will melt together and short out when your a mile away from anything to put the fire out. to me it's just not worth taking a chance like that over a $50 battery

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Check the manual it might be correct. I don't know that make of tractor but some autos are hooked up that way.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ed of all trades View Post
    Check the manual it might be correct. I don't know that make of tractor but some autos are hooked up that way.
    Many may be too young to remember old Ford cars polarity.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by sam5570 View Post
    I would get a new battery as soon as possible before that one short's out inside and burn's stuff up.the plates will melt together and short out when your a mile away from anything to put the fire out. to me it's just not worth taking a chance like that over a $50 battery

^^^^^^THIS!!!!!! Replace it now!! A new battery is $75 bucks, give or take. If the battery you have in the tractor now decides to burn up and take a few things with it, how much might it cost you to fix it then???? JMHO.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    John Deere

I'm not that familiar with kubotas but some older JDs have a positive ground. Check it out first.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Ditto...it's the dealer's fault here. don-ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by puckgrinder85 View Post
    I would contact the dealer and see what they'll do. If nothing at least you'll have some leverage if something should go wrong down the road.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

Quote Originally Posted by sam5570 View Post
    Listen to this guy! Your battery is shot, even if it still works. Get it out of the tractor and use it as a core!

One thing he forgot to mention: is it worth it if it leaks acid all over your tractor after it blows up?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Not to hijack but, I once installed a pair of new C cells in something or other and the device did no work so using my volt meter I checked the cells and discovered that one cell was somehow built reverse. Never did figure out how that could happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast