John Deere 4320 - Clean suction screen HELP!

/ John Deere 4320 - Clean suction screen HELP! #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
Hello,

I'm changing trans fluid on my 2006 e-Hydro Deere 4320, but I cannot remove the 'elbow' between the transmission and the pipe to the oil filter. (400 hrs, it doesn't get a lot of use but I enjoy it.)

Deere book says to remove this elbow to get at the suction screen for cleaning.

I removed the 2x 12mm cap screws, but I cannot get the elbow loose. It looks like the pipe between the elbow and the large trans. oil filter is swaged on, both ends, and I cannot get it loose.

I tried tapping the elbow with a wood mallet and it loosens but does not come free, it looks like a collar or somthing extends beyond the elbow transmission side flange and into the trans. Book shows only an O-ring.

Does anyone know how to safely remove this elbow?

THANKS!!

/ John Deere 4320 - Clean suction screen HELP! #2  
Hello,

I'm changing trans fluid on my 2006 e-Hydro Deere 4320, but I cannot remove the 'elbow' between the transmission and the pipe to the oil filter. (400 hrs, it doesn't get a lot of use but I enjoy it.)

I removed the 2x 12mm cap screws, but I cannot get the elbow loose. It looks like the pipe between the elbow and the large trans. oil filter is swaged on, both ends, and I cannot get it loose.

I tried tapping the elbow with a wood mallet and it loosens but does not come free, it looks like a collar or somthing extends beyond the elbow transmission side flange and into the trans. Book shows only an O-ring.

THANKS!!
Did you or does anyone have a trick for removing the elbow? I am having the same problem on a 4720 doing its first hydraulic oil change. Everything is really tight and I have tapped with a rubber mallet as hard as I could and still could not get it to move more than about 1/8" . SHould I take the filter back off? Is there something holding the pipe in the oil filter that I am missing? In the manual it made it seem like it would just slide right out. Not the case at all...Anyone who has done this job please comment...I am in the middle of my driveway and can't move the tractor until I fill it back up with fluid.

/ John Deere 4320 - Clean suction screen HELP! #3  
Hello,

THANKS!!
Did you or does anyone have a trick for removing the elbow? I am having the same problem on a 4720 doing its first hydraulic oil change. Everything is really tight and I have tapped with a rubber mallet as hard as I could and still could not get it to move more than about 1/8" . SHould I take the filter back off? Is there something holding the pipe in the oil filter that I am missing? In the manual it made it seem like it would just slide right out. Not the case at all...Anyone who has done this job please comment...I am in the middle of my driveway and can't move the tractor until I fill it back up with fluid.

/ John Deere 4320 - Clean suction screen HELP! #4  
Ok, I pounded it until I got it out, but not without a little damage. I pinched the O ring with a screwdriver and it is now broken. Anyone have any idea of what size O ring this is? I was hoping I could get one at the local auto parts store this afternoon.
Thanks