Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #1  

MyBallsHurt

Tractor
Riding
So my mowers tires are old and dry rotting, and i got some new ones to replace them, only problem is that the rim is stuck, only 1 bolt and washer hold it on, i'v used a bunch of dw-40, hammered it, and even tried to use a gear puller, but it hasn't moved at all. only thing i can think of is to, change the tire without taking off the rim but it would be a lot harder to that.

any idea's?

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #3  
You can try some Kano Kroil too and try to get it to work in on the shaft. I know this tip does not help now, and may seem "smartazz" to you, but this is why you grease the axle shafts of a new mower and put the rim back on, and take it off at least every 2 years and apply more grease so that this does not happen in the first place.. The rim and bushing rusts solid to the axle shafts, and can be a real problem to get off. which you already know.

Amazon.com: kroil penetrating oil

James K0UA

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel.
What about holding a propane torch to get it nice and hot, then tap on it?

Tried that too just forgot to add that.

You can try some Kano Kroil too and try to get it to work in on the shaft. I know this tip does not help now, and may seem "smartazz" to you, but this is why you grease the axle shafts of a new mower and put the rim back on, and take it off at least every 2 years and apply more grease so that this does not happen in the first place.. The rim and bushing rusts solid to the axle shafts, and can be a real problem to get off. which you already know.

Amazon.com: kroil penetrating oil

James K0UA

And ya i should have greased it up every other year, but i just don't see how one it rust free and the other is rusted shut

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #5  
Tried that too just forgot to add that.

And ya i should have greased it up every other year, but i just don't see how one it rust free and the other is rusted shut

One got water in it.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #6  
the best penetrating oil is just ordinary brake fluid . but grease it up good after

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #7  
if you have a air compressor and a air chipper then use that, the real fast light hammering should work. Dont forget the ear defenders

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #8  
How about trying the acetone/ATF mix discussed in this thread. I have used it and have been impressed with it. I am now trying to pull an internal pipe out of a 3PH boom pole and I have been slowly letting this mix work its way in. Hope it works for me. Hope this mix works for you.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #9  
I went through the same thing changing the tires on my previous JD mower model 170. I pried, cursed, beat it with a hammer, cursed, tried my small gear puller (managed to bend the rim with that), cursed even more, borrowed a large gear puller that still didn't budge the wheel. I ended up working the tire off the rim with the wheel on the mower (only managing to bruise 3 knuckles and bloody one fingernail). Then I wrapped a really soaking wet rag around the shaft where it entered the transaxle and used my oxy/fuel torch to heat the hub of the wheel. After heating enough to burn off the paint, I was able to use the large gear puller to get the wheel off. I used boat trailer grease (most waterproof grease available) when reassembling. Actually, it will be my brother's problem if it happens again since I sold him that mower and bought my X320.

/ Riding Lawn mower rim is rusted on axel. #10  
Oh, BTW, no I didn't sell my brother the mower because of this issue. He had borrowed the 170 several times and even though he has a couple of bigger JD riding mowers he told me numerous times that he really liked the 170 and that if I ever sold it, he would buy it. That got me to thinking about replacing it and I made the mistake of walking into a JD dealer one day after I heard they had a promotion going on mowers. One check blank later and I was loading up a new mower.