8n ford lift problems

/ 8n ford lift problems #1  

242 hillclimber

Tractor
8n
dear box contaminated with water .Did not know this until I went to use one single degree morning and pto was engaged and tractor was difficult to turn over.Lift won't work pto o.k..Question is did I damage anything or should I drain and refill gear box.prior to any p.m.open to suggestions.

/ 8n ford lift problems #2  
You may have ice still in the internal valving or line. The pump is a piston pump up top and it seems you would have heard something if that let loose. I think the first step should be to drain everything and check the oil to see what is in it. There are 3 drains on an 8n and it should hold about five gallons total. when I did mine my local 8n parts guy said that 80w90 was what he uses in all 8n's now down to 20 degrees.

/ 8n ford lift problems #4  
I wish you the best, and hope you get lucky, Ice is not a good thing for any cast iron. I had to replace the tranny housing on mine, the previous owner had left it outside for a long time under his eaves. the rubber boot want on the shifter. when it wouldnt start he towed it and let the clutch out. it blew the case right out. I bought the tractor for $500 as is. The previous owner didnt even know that it had a Sherman high- low in it too. That was un- harmed.