JD 336 baler problems

/ JD 336 baler problems #1  

60sdeereman

Tractor
John Deere 4010
I have a 70s 336 twine tie baler. It has produced many thousands of bales in its lifetime. I was wondering if anyone would know roughly what it would cost to have it overhauled and producing bales again. I personally think that it just needs shimmed and breaks on the knotters but i do not know for sure. it might make a bale or 2 then go to tie and the break will stop the plunger. Any input is appreciated thank you.

/ JD 336 baler problems #2  
Greetings and welcome. If you don't have a manual, get one from a dealer or eBay. The symptoms you describe could be caused by a number of problems: slightly out of time, plunger knife clashing with the fixed knife, needle lift/retraction linkage bent.

Since this is a gear drive knotter, the manual shows you how to check and then retime the mechanism if necessary. As far as the knives hitting, thats a plunger roller bearing problem unless one if bent. If could just be a weak or plugged plunger stop retraction spring. Empty out the machine of all hay or straw and clean out the chaff, mud, rust, and poltice. Then walk it through be hand without twine or wire in it.

/ JD 336 baler problems
I tripped the knotters and tied the 4 inch bale that was in the chamber by turning the flywheel. it tied with with no problem. nothing clunks catches, just the screech of the pick up teeth turning slowly.