Onan P218G not allot of spark

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #1  

rkboyer911

Tractor
JD 855
Hi there ive searched and searched about this...I have a Miller Legend welder with this engine that wont start. Ive put a new coil/plugs,wires on it and checked the ignition modgle showing its good but the only time I get spark is when i firet got to start it I get 1 single spark. The stator isnt hooked up I found out and the voltage regulator is missing...Do i need these 2 pieces to run this or is that just for charging the battery? Thanks so much!!

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #2  
The ignition module behind the flywheel .... Mine worked fine until it got a little warm. That's what fires the coil each time the magenet on the flywheel passes it... bet it is bad even though you think it is OK. My Onan just has a rectifier that the alternator coils go thru, no regulator.... All it is made for is to run a few lights and charge the battery... not something that is voltage sensitive like a radio or something.

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark
ugh I dont want to have to pull that dang flywheel I hear its a bear..... I better get a how to guid so I dont jack it up....Should I replace the trigger ring to?

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #4  
I did not have any trouble pulling the flywheel on mine. It was in a JD 420 garden tractor. The big thing was pulling the motor out of the frame so I could get to everything. Good time to put brushes in the starter and a new solenoid since my motor has to be out to get to that stuff. Don't know what you mean by trigger ring, but if you mean the magnet, it is probably OK. The ignition modules are notorious failures on these engines....

ahh ok the good thing is its on the welder and I just have to remove the guards (faceplate) to get to the flywheel...maybe wont be a big deal...Just an $$$$ part.

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #7  
It is an Onan part and you can get it on Ebay or Amazon probably... The flywheel is on a tapered shaft. JD recommends that you keep it from turning by putting one or two Vise Grips onto the ring gear, don't try to stick something in the big cast cooling fins and break one. Also, when it pops loose, and it will, have someone there to keep your wheel puller, Vise Grips, and your nice cast flywheel with the big fins from falling on the floor. They recommend that you just loosen the flywheel bolt a few turns if you are by yourself. [ :) ] [ wonder how much one of them there flywheels cost at JD...??? ]

Last edited:
cool thanks!! oh i hate to even guess I have read that they are killer heavy.

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #9  
rkboyer
may i suggest you join the yahoo onan engine site ( just google it )
they have the parts and service manuals ava.
the trigger ring ( ign. rotors ) can get bad ( usually the black plastic ones )
when one or more of the magnets get bad.
did you check the module by the book?
the manual will tell how to test the stator as well.
i stock all of these parts used ( tested )
boomers_influence@yahoo.com
651 437 2826
new parts ava. at onanparts.com
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

/ Onan P218G not allot of spark #10  
There are all kinds of parts on eBay for sale. The modules start at about $50.