JD Gator 6X4 Engine Replacement

/ JD Gator 6X4 Engine Replacement #1  

Marie Dennis

Tractor
John Deere Gator 6X4
Hi,

For starters I lied a little when i filled out the registration here. I don't own 100+ acres, I work there, but there wasn't a category for that. My friend owns the farm/ranch here near Carson City NV. She's a hard working gal and I wan to help her out. She has a 6X4 gator with a blown engine and has a replacement engine waiting in a crate. I train horses there and am the general handy-girl. I grew up rural and I am a fairly skilled back yard mechanic. I have pulled the engine out of my Comanche 4X4, stripped it, took it for the core deposit, with out too much problem. I have fixed pretty much everything else on it too, with the exception of the drive train, after all it is a JEEP! And at some point I figure I will have a new truck down to the frame, LOL! I have worked on a few other vehicles too. Even fixed my toaster once, but I think the jeep was easier.... But back to the gal with the gator. If I have standard mechanical common sense (not sayin' I actually do), could I manage the install of the new engine? How different are they from a car/truck engine? Anything special you can think of as warning? Like, when you pull part X off, be ready to catch all the irreplaceable ball bearings that are gonna spill all over the place....? I'm going to look at it tomorrow, it's been sitting for a year. I'll get the year and hopefully what engine number if I can find one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have! And yeah, I"m a girl who works on cars...... it was out of necessity at first, but I like it now. :)

Marie :newhere:

/ JD Gator 6X4 Engine Replacement #2  
I think if you can work on Jeep the Gator should be easy.
Use common sense, take pictures before you start incase you forget how something is routed, or order parts go on. If multiple cables, label what they are, note ajustments so you get them back on the same.
I know it's belt drive, be carefull removing the belt, clutch and driven pulley are spring loaded.

/ JD Gator 6X4 Engine Replacement
Yeah, I have been doing a little research and I think I will be able to do it. I'll find a tech manual on line, hopefully. Yes, lots of pictures, my memory is not what it used to be!! As for common sense, it's usually engaged though there have been times I have looked back and said "what was I thinking!" haha! This probably won't happen until the weather warms up a bit, she has a big old barn-like two bay garage, but it's not heated. I will post here if I have any problems.

She also has a big riding Ariens tractor/snow blower that has a major oil leak in the snow blower engine. It's coming from what you would think is the back (going towards the seat) but it's actual the front of the engine where the air intake is. I'm guessing it's a front main seal of some sort. I will post something on this forum and see if anyone has some knowledge on that. Thanks for your help! BTW, I am originally from MI, north of Detroit, Troy/Auburn area. It used to be rural, not any more...... not even suburban, it's down right cityfied!

cheers
m

/ JD Gator 6X4 Engine Replacement #4  
Welcome Marie! shot you an email about getting you a copy of the tech manual

Joe