JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #1  

Bruky

Tractor
4010 Compact
After moving a zillion tons of snow yesterday (Sat) after Blizzard. Parked my JD 4010 compact in its unheated shed. Temp. went down to 9 degrees. This AM (Sun) turning the ignition key produced a slight click. All the dash lights go on and the headlight come on and DO NOT dim when I try to start.

Am I dealing with something frozen or is it more serious? Any help would be appreciated.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #2  
Start with the basics that you forget when it's cold? Any safety not activated like being in neutral, seat disconnect, anything like that. I had a similar situation during a big storm. Went crazy when Ford 1710 wouldn't start. Turns out it was in gear the whole time.

Took a warm-up and cup of coffee to figure it out. Hope it turns out to be that easy.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #3  
How is the antifreeze is it iced up in the radiator and block? Engine oil heater on that machine? Like Buzzard said sometimes the simple things first like PTO lever, or in gear. Ice might have melted then refroze on one of the levers and switches.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing
Thanks BuzzardA91, tried those basics. The speed indicator lever (must be in N to start) seemed a bit stiff this AM but now, noon time, it seems more loose. Looked for disconnected wires but found none.

Well Treemonkey, I do believe you're right on. I feel there is ice some place but where? Radiator looks OK. No heater and shed has no electricity. Heard that starters can get wet and then freeze up. True ?

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #6  
You might try the old trick of rapping on the starter with a hammer in that case don't beat it into a pulp though. That might unstick the bendix if that is the case. You don't have any portable heaters around to put under or near the tractor motor and linkage to thaw it out a bit do you? I have put a kerosene heater near the motor then plywood over it to direct the heat in the past when I had my tractor. Or you might even take the battery out bring it inside to warm it up a bit. 9 degrees is too cotton pickin cold for this Treemonkey

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #7  
Got any power near the tractor?:)

You might try the old trick of rapping on the starter with a hammer in that case don't beat it into a pulp though. That might unstick the bendix if that is the case. You don't have any portable heaters around to put under or near the tractor motor and linkage to thaw it out a bit do you? I have put a kerosene heater near the motor then plywood over it to direct the heat in the past when I had my tractor. Or you might even take the battery out bring it inside to warm it up a bit. 9 degrees is too cotton pickin cold for this Treemonkey

I figured out how to get power out there and will put a small space heater next to the starter. It might get to 40 today but that's only an maybe. Thanks for the help. PS Afraid to rap the sucker because at this point it would feel so good to use my 20lb sledge ! Thanks again

Thanks Egon, will be able to get power there and try a space heater. Will let you know if it worked. Being from NS, you must have some neat tricks to avoiding this in the future. Would love to hear them.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #10  
Surely do wish I had a bag of tricks.:(

Throw a tarp over the tractor also and hook up a battery charger. That will help get the whole thing warmed up.:)

Think about making a battery maintainer a permanent set up.

Then check out all the switches etc. and battery posts. Check fuses and remove reinstall relays. Use some dielectric grease on them. Heat gun can come in handy when doing this but don't melt the plastics.

Wife's hair dryer would also work but make sure the shed has enough room for a cot and one of them -30 C rated sleeping bags.

Note: I never follow my own advice??:D