Tractor just stopped running

/ Tractor just stopped running #21  
Hey everyone - finally got it! I decided to start over (a suggestion from my wife!) which meant starting with the fuses. I checked those first thing immediately after the breakdown. Every one of them looked good. No breaks, no burn spots, nothing. So I moved on. This time I tested them and the one farther to the right in the fuse block was defective! Visually it looked brand new. Lesson learned: fuses don't always tell the truth just by looking at them! And I am feeling somewhat foolish.

Thanks to everyone and all of your suggestions! This is a great site with terrific people on it! Hope to be able to return the favor one day.

Solomon
Was the fuse defective or burned? If it was burned then look for pinched wire. Fuses don't burn without a reason.

/ Tractor just stopped running #22  
Hey everyone - finally got it! I decided to start over (a suggestion from my wife!) which meant starting with the fuses. I checked those first thing immediately after the breakdown. Every one of them looked good. No breaks, no burn spots, nothing. So I moved on. This time I tested them and the one farther to the right in the fuse block was defective! Visually it looked brand new. Lesson learned: fuses don't always tell the truth just by looking at them! And I am feeling somewhat foolish.

Thanks to everyone and all of your suggestions! This is a great site with terrific people on it! Hope to be able to return the favor one day.

Solomon

What circuit was that fuse for?

/ Tractor just stopped running #23  
HeHeh! Glad you found it AND posted back.Was the fuse the one to the fuel shut-off solenoid? And like Solomon said,beware.....if it blows again,you still have a problem. don-ohio :thumbsup:

/ Tractor just stopped running #24  
Yeah.....still sounds like the switch or maybe a loose connection at the starter solenoid? Hope you get it fixed real quick and let us know the solution,okay? don-ohio :)^)

I know he found the problem, but wanted to mention that a loose connection at the starter solenoid will keep it from starting, but not make it quit running. The only way to make a diesel quit is to interrupt the fuel/air supply, or release the compression. R,

/ Tractor just stopped running #25  
Yeah,well that's generally speaking.....a loose connection wouldn't have to kill the start,if it was a wire that led to energize the injector solenoid.Anyway,I certainly wasn't trying to pinpoint the problem,just check for loose wires.Anyway,he found the problem and THAT'S what makes us happy.right? don-ohio :)^)

/ Tractor just stopped running #26  
Yeah,well that's generally speaking.....a loose connection wouldn't have to kill the start,if it was a wire that led to energize the injector solenoid.Anyway,I certainly wasn't trying to pinpoint the problem,just check for loose wires.Anyway,he found the problem and THAT'S what makes us happy.right? don-ohio :)^)

Huh?

You said to check for a "loose connection at the starter solenoid".....which can't make the tractor quit like he described. I only commented because people with similar problems in the future might dig this thread up, in a search result, and they don't need to spend time messing checking starter connections when it absolutely has to be fuel system related. The starter, and related wires could fall off the tractor after it was running, and it wouldn't make any difference.

/ Tractor just stopped running #27  
That's yer story and yer stickin'to it.LOL! A solenoid doesn't have to be right on the starter,and there can be many power sources attached,but it was a generic thing,and if you insist,it's okay by me. don-ohio :)^)

/ Tractor just stopped running #28  
That's yer story and yer stickin'to it.LOL! A solenoid doesn't have to be right on the starter,and there can be many power sources attached,but it was a generic thing,and if you insist,it's okay by me. don-ohio :)^)

Sure there can be multiple solenoids on a tractor, and they don't have to be right on the starter....I never said otherwise. If one connects to the starter, and things in addition to the starter, it's no longer simply a "starter solenoid" as you described.

/ Tractor just stopped running
Ladia the fuse was defective. The internal wire was in perfect shape, no burn spots, nothing wrong in the fuse block. It looked just like the rest of the fuses - brand new. Just goes to show - test everything! Thanks for all of your suggestions - really appreciated it.

/ Tractor just stopped running
Gman that fuse was in the main fuse block - it appears it was the ignition/starter circut. Thanks for your suggestions.