Tractor just stopped running

/ Tractor just stopped running #1  

solomon

Tractor
M-F GC2310TLB
I have a 2007 M-F GC2310 that I purchased new that now has 599 hours. I work it hard on my 5 acre New Hampshire horse farm, however, I have always maintained it per the maintenance schedule and it always has run great. I was using it today when it suddenly stopped running. I checked the fuses (including the two slow-blow fuses) and all are fine. The seat safety switch is connected and appears fine. Range selector is in neutral, PTOs are not engaged. Diesel is fresh and level is good. Coolant level is good. Headlights and flashers work. The dash battery and oil lights do not light (as they normally do) when ignition switch is turned to on (bulbs appear fine). I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Tractor just stopped running #2  
First, Repost this under Massey Ferguson Forum. 2. Check your battery grounds.

/ Tractor just stopped running #3  
So does the starter click at all? Sometimes there is a fusible link in the electrical that may have blown. If you have a wire harness that is pinched and shorting. Can you check the voltage at the battery? See if it has 13-14 volts on the terminals. Then turn the key over and see what the voltage drops to. You may have a bad battery especially if it is the original from 2007.

/ Tractor just stopped running
Thanks for the reply! Battery checks fine - no clicks - no nothing from the starter. Machine just died right in the middle of working it. Looked at everything I could think of - even got the manual out and went through their trouble shooting recommendations - everything checks out but still nothing.

/ Tractor just stopped running
Thanks for the reply! Battery ground good. Machine just stopped running right in the middle of working it (had been running it for about two hours then ... just died). Checked out everything the trouble shooting guide suggested - but no luck yet.

/ Tractor just stopped running #6  
The Guru's of this site might move this blog to Massey machines. Murphy could be right about checking grounds even if they look good externally to take them off and brighten up the metal with sandpaper or something. Not being familiar with that machine if it has electronic fuel injection or electric fuel pump. With it not clicking you might try jumping it with another vehicle or battery if you can. The battery can still be toast

/ Tractor just stopped running #7  
So lets back up. You have a diesel tractor that was putting along and then it just went dead. Dead with a burble or just stopped dead. Did it wind down, or go with a clunk?

Second, You turn the key and nothing happens. Do the lights come on? is there any auditory cue that electricity is getting to the engine?

Answer these questions and it will lead us to the next things to check.

/ Tractor just stopped running #8  
I would bet ignition switch got bad. Is the tractor parked outside or does it sleep inside? Might be water caused corrosion.

/ Tractor just stopped running #9  
It has to be a fuel delivery problem, because their isn't an ignition system to fail, but that isn't the cause...it's a symptom. The fuel pump isn't energized except when they ignition key is in the "on" position. If the ignition switch failed, it wouldn't energize the pump, and it would quit running. You can probably take the switch apart, and use clip leads to jump the contacts to energize the circuits to get it to start and keep running, but you'll likely need a schematic to avoid the guesswork....I was never good at hot wiring cars ;-)

/ Tractor just stopped running #10  
Ignition switch is "generic" for starting switch. There is a solenoid operated when the switch is in Run position that enables the injection pump. Check if there is voltage on the solenoid. The solenoid might be bad.