Need help identifying top link.

/ Need help identifying top link. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I broke the ball end on my top link which I think is from a John Deere based on my e-bay search.
I need the LH threaded link end.
The thread OD measures 1.095 with 8 tpi and the body alone is approx. 13 inches long.
I bought a top link from tractor supply but the assembly it is too long and the threaded end is 1.116 OD & 7 TPI & not inter-changeable.
Attached are some photos to help identify.

Thanks 90cummins
IMG_0606.jpgIMG_0609.jpgIMG_0611.jpg

/ Need help identifying top link. #2  
The whole top link is not that expensive. Go to any farm supply and buy the right size one for your tractor. Agri-Supply has them online from about $8 - 28 depending on the size and category and from 7 1/2" long up to 33.5" for the complete unit or you can buy the end for 6-7 bucks according to the catalog I have although it doesn't list the bolt size just category 1 or 2 although their top link lists sizes of 1" to 1 1/8" in category 2.
Tractor supply has them also along with most farm and ranch supplies. You need to know what size pin you use as they come in different pin sizes 3/4-1inch in addition to the length variable.
I see from your photo that you have a new one, did you buy the wrong size?

/ Need help identifying top link. #3  
I guess I'm having a tough time figuring why you wouldnt just buy a new one thats the right size either..

/ Need help identifying top link. #5  
Yea tractor supply only has the 13" in a Cat 0

Heres one thats shorter yet.

/ Need help identifying top link.
This link is very high quality cast steel and I would rather fix it then buy a cheap import part.
It broke because an inexperienced user hung a chain that limited clearance and raised the hitch too high causing the end to bend & break.
The links available are imports and not a substitute for this. A cat 0 link is too small.
I'm concerned that the threads would pull out of the light weight steel units.
A Farmi winch puts a huge strain on the top link and a failure could do serious harm to me or my machine. I don稚 want any failures.

90cummins

Last edited: