JD 6320 blowing fuse!

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse! #1  

nik6320

Tractor
John Deere 6320
Hi there i own a 2003 6320 and recently i started having a problem with the second fuse in F03 column its the 10A one wich operates 4wd,pto and diff lock.. as soon as you turn the switch it blows it (tryied up to 20A) also tryied following the wires from the fuse box, the right one connects to 6 other fuses wich all have to do with ELX something but seem ok and the left disappears in the pannel.. Any ideas?

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse! #2  
Which switch? You mentioned three, 4wd, PTO and dif lock.
Wire you found feeding other fuses is supply to this fuse and the other fuses. No need to check from this side off the fuse.

Put a 12 volt light across the fuse that is blowing. No need to have that fuse or a good one in place. The light will provide a load and be ON when a fuses would blow. Do NOT try higher amp fuses, that would be good way to burn up wires or at the very least melt insulation.

With the light in place turn on the switch that was causing the fuse to blow. Light should come on. What ever switch this is, start as far from the switch as possible and disconnect connectors. When the light goes out, what ever is cousing the fuse to blow is down stream from that connector. It could be a shorted solinoid, wire shorted to ground or another wire beside it that goes to a ground. If you do not see apparent damaged wires, most likely the solinoid.

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse!
Hi Zebrafive thanks for the reply! (think ive spotted another of youre replies in another forum too but anyway!) I meant it blows straight away when you turn the ignition key... today i placed a 12v light across the fuse as soon as i turned the key it came on. i disconected the 4wd , dif lock and pto switches but it still stayed on.. is it worth following the wires all the way to the solenoids?? it also says in the book that fuse operates the forward wheel speed (i have no radar) where do i find that sensor? Also are the solenoids the sensors under the tractor? how do i check a bad solenoid?

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse! #4  
Since the light stayed on for the three switches you disconnected, anything down stream from the switches is not causing the problem. So these three solinoids (4wd, diff lock, and PTO) are not the problem, the wiring from the switch to the solinoids. So no need to follow the wires to the solinoids. Problem could be from switch back to the fuse wires.
I am not familar with "forward wheel speed" I assume this is ground speed and would come from a sensor in the transmission. What transmission do you have?
By book do you mean owners manual? Or by chance do you have service manual with wiring diagrams?

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse!
Its a powerquad plus transmission, by book yes i meant the operators manual, wish i had the service one at the moment though! its says forward speed meaning ground speed yes.. so if it reads speed from the trany then i guess the sensor would propably be under the cab?

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse!
Its actually called wheel speed sending unit and its the only wire i cant find since there is no switch to follow.. i tried disconecting all other switches and adaptors that have to do with that fuse but the light still stays on... some wires continue under the cab so i dont think i will be able to follow them all. (the wire leaves the fuse box tow2ards the 4wd switch then seperates to 6 or 7 more that return back, others to BCU box or other swithes like the pto etc and others go under the cab).

/ JD 6320 blowing fuse! #7  
Hello, did you ever find the fault with this? Got exactly the same on a 6830 , thanks