2 questions I need help with???

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #1  

Casco1

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L series
Last weekend we had 2+ft of snow. After pulling my tractor out of the garage and making a few passes the right front tire rode off of the rim. It's a 16.5 + 10.5 on a L3710 Kubota. This is the second this tire has done this. I keep the tire pressure as recommended. Should I put tubes in my front tires? If I do, I lose my steel safety valves, not the end of the world. I just thought I'd mention it.

My second question is about my battery, looking for opinions, tractor is a 2001, battery is original, it has always started. How long have your batteries lasted? I don't have power to the garage so it would be a pain if the tractor doesn't start on a snow cleaning day. Is it time to buy a new battery just in case? Thanks.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #2  
Hi ! For your battery you have a record. 7 years life is normal. On small lawn mower 3 years is normal .
For your tire I think no enough pressure or tire beads are damaged. Tubes with good pressure can help . Good Luck! Oldmech

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #3  
I don't really know Kubotas, but recall a recent discussion about changing from Industrial tires. It sounded like different rims are needed on some models to go to R1s. With 2 tires off, might be worth verifying if the rim width is correct for the tire type (R1 vs. R4 vs......).

For normal vehicle batteries (as opposed to large stationary industrial ones) once you get past 10 years, IMO, you are on borrowed time. That is assuming you've been taking care of the battery, w/o maintenance most don't get that far along.

I'd change it out, then use the old/still working battery to run a solar light in your garage. You'd gain needed light, and the tractor alternator will thank you for not having to deal with a baffed out battery a little later.

My :2cents:.

Rgds, D.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #4  
I ran a rear tire off my B26 TLB a while back and while it didn't look low, the other one was also down to about 7 psi. I hadn't checked them since I got the tractor 6 months ago. I topped them all up to 5 PSI below the max. I don't need traction much as I just use it for backhoe and FEL work. With these small tractors, 5 psi will hold them up fine and wont look low but wont keep the tires seated on the rim. Check them about once a week to get a feel for slow leakage and top up when they get low. If they require air more than once a month, put some tubes in them. I have had my LS since Oct. 2010 and tires are still up where they were when I got it, but some of these tubless tractor tires just seem to leak a bit. Sometimes it is because they were never properly seated when installed. They need to be put to maximum pressure and kept there for a few weeks while running them around to properly seat the bead, then the pressure can be lowered to normal operating pressure.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #5  
I would look at tubes especially since this is the second time that tire has come off the rim. It is very possible the first time was due to low air pressure and the second time is low air pressure casued by damage to the bead on the tire. Without replacing the tire a tube is the way to go. It may be to your advantage now that the tire has come off the second time to replace that tire.

I have tubes in the front tires on my Farmall 140 and on the Massey Ferguson. Both have relatively old tires on them that began to leak. Tubes are cheaper than tires given that the tires are usable. The Kubota has tubeless all around.

/ 2 questions I need help with???
Thanks for your responses. Spring is only 6 to 8 weeks away, then tubes and a new battery. Old battery will give me music in the garage.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #7  
I wouldn't change the battery if you don't need to. FWIW, you can buy a solar trickle charger at HarborFreight for cheap money.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #8  
I purchased my tractor in May 2010, I need a battery now. I wish I could have gotten half the life of yours.

And as others have said, put a tube in. Kubota has been known for 1 leaky rim, there are several threads about it in the Kubota section.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #9  
My tractor is a 2004 Mahindra. My first battery only lasted 4 years. Going on 5 years on the replacement with no problems. First one may have been defective but after 4 years there was no warranty. I agree if the battery is still good to keep using it. If it does let you down you can probably pick up a new one at the local auto parts store. Both NAPA and AdvanceAuto usually have them in stock.
As far as the tire goes it sounds like you have a leaky tire. When pressures get low they can roll off the rim while making turns. Mine did the same thing and that was the reason. I added tire sealant to mine and check the pressures about once a week.

/ 2 questions I need help with??? #10  
your battery is liekly drawing SS.. i'd have to say that's a record!

on the tires... well.. if it keeps rolling off.. I'd check the beads. if they are good.. tube them..