Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Default Re: Automotive Parts Counter

In person customers should come first!
    They should have an answering machine that states: If your call was not answered all sales people are currently serving customers, please call back later.
    If no customers are waiting to be served answer the phone.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by brain55 View Post
    I don't mind them having to take some calls, what pisses me off is when I'm at the counter and they don't even acknowledge me between calls.
    I went into a local chain store parts place--Advance Auto I think--and the guy picked up the phone during my ordering something with him. It was just for a second so OK. Then he did it again and the call started to drag on with someone just checking prices. After too long, I just nodded to the guy and said I'll stop back later. I just mail ordered what I wanted elsewhere (Summit Racing I think) and it was cheaper and came right to my door. Lesson learned for me to avoid people and places like this.

A few of these parts guys are good but most are there because they have little gumption and work cheap. Go where you are treated best.
    Last edited by sixdogs; 02-17-2013 at 04:52 PM.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    A few of these parts guys are good but most are there because they have little gumption and work cheap. Go where you are treated best.
    I was a fleet manager for a landscape contractor during the housing boom. I was spending $40k a month on parts spread out over a few vendors. My local auto parts store was getting $7-10k of that. There were 2 full service (non AutoZone) parts stores in town. My go to store started making it difficult to get the right parts in a timely fashion. They went to a central call center (they had several stores in the area) so I was no longer speaking to a person in my local store and I never knew when I was going to get parts because I never knew which store(s) they were pulling parts from. So I switched stores and never looked back.

I will say that even though I was not likely the biggest customer, I had no problem throwing my weight around if I needed to. I expected a certain level of service. I had a 100 trucks and over 100 pieces of equipment I was keeping in operation, it was a 6 day a week 12 hour a day job, not getting the right part or not getting it on time was a real issue.

Brian

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Any bussiness has to cater to the biggest dollar customers. We had one guy who looked after walkin customers, four more out of sight on the phones......

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 790, JD4100,JD318,JD216 Grasshopper 322D,Wright 52 Stander

I must be lucky or have a great owner of a parts store. I have always been waited on. If the phone is ringing they answer it and say hold please. Never been a problem in my neck of the woods.

Years ago at a local dealership the counter guys would serve the walk in customers ahead of the phone in customers on Saturday only; Monday to Friday they answered phones first. Their rational was that during the week business would be calling and on Saturdays it was almost always backyarders pricing stuff out. I don't know if it's still like that or not but it was a nice and appreciated practice.

G'day I will always answer the phone but if I have a counter customer I will always excuse myself to answer it and will ask them to either hold or ring them back, most don't mind.

Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12