Add Grease Fittings?

/ Add Grease Fittings? #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I tried the Search feature for this and didn't find anything, so here goes: I just replaced a tie rod end on my tractor, '04 Kubota L3830. I found out it was bad when I jacked up the wheels to put chains on. The originals, and the replacement, don't have grease fittings. I guess they call them "sealed". I wonder if it would be a good idea to install grease fittings in them, or at least in the remaining original one to try to extend it's life? If I did install a fitting I wonder if it would be best to put it on the side or the top of the joint? And whether to tap the hole or use a drive-in fitting?
With all of the grease fittings everywhere else on the tractor, I'm kind of surprised that the tie rod ends don't come with fittings.
On a side note, I called two Kubota dealers looking for the tie rod end, and neither dealer had one in stock. In fact, they both said that they don't get many requests for them. That kind of surprised me, considering the abuse they take turning the front wheels with a full load in the bucket. You don't notice it so much with power steering, but they take a lot of stress.
Any thoughts on adding fittings, pro or con?

/ Add Grease Fittings?
ATTACH=CONFIG]304020[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of the old tie rod end to give an idea of where a grease fitting might go. I think if I was going to do it I'd put it on top.

Attachments

• tie rod end 004.JPG
    tie rod end 004.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 194
   / Add Grease Fittings?
Another question about putting a grease fitting on a tie rod end that didn't come with one. I went ahead and installed a fitting in the center of the top of the still good tie rod end that I hadn't replaced. When I tried to grease it, it wouldn't take grease. Just to make sure there was nothing wrong with the fitting, I removed the fitting and put it on the grease gun, and it was okay, grease ran out of it. While I had the fitting out I swabbed out the hole that I'd made with a Q-tip and rocked the joint back and forth with a vise-grips, and I could see the top of ball unobstructed. I put the fitting back in and tried again, with still no luck. Normally, as you pump the grease in you can see the rubber boot expand, but nothing happens with this. And by the way, it's pretty hard to remove the grease gun when it's under pressure from squeezing like crazy with no transfer of grease.
I could just give up, or I could insert grease into the rubber boot with a needle fitting that I have. Technically, that would leave a pin-hole in the rubber, but if there was positive pressure from being filled with grease, maybe it wouldn't matter.
Just wondering if anybody has experience with this that they'd like to share

/ Add Grease Fittings? #5  
I wouldn't mess with a sealed joint, especially the boot, thats to keep dirt/ water out and grease in. Sealed joints typically last just as long or longer as greaseable joints because people over grease them and that attracts dirt and eventually gets into the joint.

Ps- I'm a auto mechanic if it matters to my credability.

/ Add Grease Fittings? #6  
Jack it up.:)

Release pressure by pulling back on the centre handle.