IH 460 Power Steering.

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #1  

kbforester

Tractor
International 460 Utility
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to all that helped me get my tractor running earlier this winter. Runs great now.

Now, to the issue that spawned all my other issues... The power steering gear assembly. These tractors are apparently notorious for steering problems. I got the tractor this summer, and it ran great except it was leaking hydraulic oil from the power steering gear assembly (I was going through more H Oil than gasoline!) Tore the tractor apart to get it off, and sent it to a local guy to overhaul. He said he couldn't find anyone who carried a needle bearing (#5 in the diagram). He packed it up and said it wouldn't leak at least.

Now that I have been able to test it, I discovered I don't have the full range of rotation in the steering wheel anymore. Basically, without adjustments, I can only make normal sharp right hand turns and just barely veer to the left. There is zero resistance issues, it just stops prematurely, and completely when I turn left.

My question is: Could this be the needle baring, or something completely different?

It doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Could it be a mis-calibrated gearing somewhere? Like, it was reassembled improperly so something bottoms or tops out too early. If you agree, does anyone want to take a stab at which one?

I don't want to ask the guy that rebuilt it, I don't trust him.

I think I can readjust everything (arms and tie-rods) to balance the steering so I can turn an equal amount in either direction, but its really not going to be enough to be useful. I had the wacky idea of extending the steering arms to get more tie-rod movement for what little rotation I have left. Not sure if that will be good enough.
1157125.png

Any thought would be much appreciated.

-KB

/ IH 460 Power Steering. #2  
Sounds like your shafts are out of time, you might get an I&T manual at a Tractor Supply Store or similar in your area that would have pictures and procedures for timing the unit, or you might be able to take the steering arm off and center the unit by turning the wheel to center then replace the arm. Hope this of some help Tom

/ IH 460 Power Steering.
Thanks Cowpaddy,

Thanks for the input. I'm afraid if it is in fact the shafts being out of time, I'm a little nervous about doing the work myself. I already have the manual, and it doesn't sound easy... of course the parts aren't in from on me to follow along with what I'm reading either.

Your opinion is helpful to guide my decision process, which in this case would be take the part to someone else. If it were a hopeless situation I might just swap it out for a manual steering unit.

I've tried removing the steering arms, centering, and replacing. It does add some functionality... but not a lot. The available total range of motion is just too little to put up with.