John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal #1  

kyhunter

Tractor
JD 1050 2wd with FEL
I'm working on a John Deere 1050 and trying to remove the exhaust manifold and turbo. I have a tech manual and have done everything it has said to do. I removed the three bolts and one nut and it won't budge. Any suggestions? My final goal is to remove the cylinder head and replace the head gasket.

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal
I just realized they are not bolts, but threaded on both ends. On three of them, the entire bolt came out. On one of them, the nut came off. Here is a picture. If you click on the image, you can see where I have a black circle around the one where the nut came off and a red circle around one of the other holes. 1050manifold.JPG

Last edited:
Any ideas out there?

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal #4  
Isnt that tractor a 3 cylinder? If so, you should have atleast 6 bolts or studs holding the manifold on. 2 per cylinder.

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal #5  
Sometimes the manifold will get seized on the studs from corrosion. I would hit them with pb blaster penetrating oil and let but sit overnight, then, lightly tap the manifold with a hammer. It also helps if you put the nuts back on the studs just till they are even with the end, then tap with an hammer, or lightly with an air hammer.Patience is key!

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal #6  
Looks like 9 studs or bolts in the picture

Attachments

• RP1379_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP1379_________UN01JAN94.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 313
That was it. There are 6 bolts. That's what I get for just reading the technical manual. It is a 3 cylinder. Thanks everyone!!

/ John Deere 1050 Exhaust Manifold Removal #8  
Looks like 9 to me also. Agree with the penetrating oil and a hammer. I always tap with the hammer handle instead of the steel end though. Those cast iron manifolds can break fairly easily when hit with a hard shock from a steel hammer.

Another question. In order to remove the cylinder head, do you have to remove the rocker arm assembly?

I went ahead and removed them, took the little cap off of the valves, and removed the push rods. I got the cylinder head off without much problem. Now I have to take the head to the machine shop to have it resurfaced.