Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility??

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #1  

Mahindra One

Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I'm writing on behalf of a good friend. Took his 1948 8N to a dealer for a motor overhaul. It was reportedly ready to be picked up about 10 days ago and as he planned to go get it he later got a call from the dealership saying it wouldn't start and they needed to see why. About a week later he received a call from the dealer saying that they determined the block was cracked in two places. Now the tractor was taken to the dealer with no indicators of a cracked block. The owner had checked the oil within a couple days of taking it, hadn't been using it due to lack of growth of the grass here in Texas (all it he has ever used it for) and feels pretty sure that there was no indication of any cracks when delivered to the dealer. His thought is that perhaps it is possible that the block was cracked during installation of the cylinder sleeves. Not being a mechanic myself, nor is he, I would like some feedback from some of the brother's as to the likelihood of this happening or whatever other ideas anyone has. Thanks for reading.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #2  
Where in the block are the cracks? Presume since it did't start water was getting into the cylinders.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #3  
Where in the block are the cracks? Presume since it did't start water was getting into the cylinders.

That's what I'd say! If water IS getting in the cylinders I would have to say that the dealer was negligent in checking for any cracks. When pulling a motor apart for a rebuild you are suppose to look for bad areas, IE, cracked blocks, heads, scoring, etc. etc. If you don't see any, but are in question, you send the parts out to be checked. As an engine builder it's YOUR responsibility to do so. And, on an engine that old, I would definitely send the block out to be magnafluxed prior to an overhaul - just because that's the way I do things. Any "good" engine builder would/should do the same! YMMV!

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #4  
Be interesting if they want the money for the rebuild.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #5  
Where is it cracked?

So he took it in for a rebuild and they rebuilt it, then before he went to pick it up it would not start and the block is cracked?

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility??
Don't know where it's cracked but they offered to provide labor if he payed 500 for a block.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #7  
Don't know where it's cracked but they offered to provide labor if he payed 500 for a block.

Just what is included in a "motor overhaul"?

If what they are offering is to completely rebuild (new rings, grind valves, new valves & pistons as needed, new cylinder liners) a block that he buys for $500, that sounds like a pretty reasonable deal.

I doubt they cracked the block, but I do think they should have tested the block before doing the work. If they had found the crack, he would have had to buy another block anyway, plus pay for the rest of the overhaul.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #8  
Just what is included in a "motor overhaul"?

If what they are offering is to completely rebuild (new rings, grind valves, new valves & pistons as needed, new cylinder liners) a block that he buys for $500, that sounds like a pretty reasonable deal.

I doubt they cracked the block, but I do think they should have tested the block before doing the work. If they had found the crack, he would have had to buy another block anyway, plus pay for the rest of the overhaul.

I agree. It is a no-win situation for everybody. Share the misery & pain; move on.

It is NOT common practice to magnaflux & pressure test a cylinder block that is not suspected of being faulty.
Perhaps the owner declined to bear the cost of such testing because it didn't seem necessary; or the dealer didn't suggest it for the same reason.

It is a 60 year old lump of cast iron that has been heat cycled and shock loaded thousands of times.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #9  

That statement alone tells me that the block was cracked in the dealers shop.

/ Cracked Block: Whose Responsibility?? #10  
I agree. It is a no-win situation for everybody. Share the misery & pain; move on.

It is NOT common practice to magnaflux & pressure test a cylinder block that is not suspected of being faulty.
Perhaps the owner declined to bear the cost of such testing because it didn't seem necessary; or the dealer didn't suggest it for the same reason.

It is a 60 year old lump of cast iron that has been heat cycled and shock loaded thousands of times.

Agree and get the old block back. You still need a running engine.