Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement
I would resufrace the flywheel too if you're putting a clutch in. Might as well do the job complete and do it once the right way.

Im on the fence right now with resurfacing, it looks in pretty good shape so I think im going to just see how it goes. In my experience with automotive clutches you can do it about twice before you start running into problems with warping and I have no idea how many times this one has been done in the past. This project is on a tight budget to say the least so it'll have to be one of those things to take care of later if it becomes a problem.

Jason

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #12  
Im on the fence right now with resurfacing, it looks in pretty good shape so I think im going to just see how it goes. In my experience with automotive clutches you can do it about twice before you start running into problems with warping and I have no idea how many times this one has been done in the past. This project is on a tight budget to say the least so it'll have to be one of those things to take care of later if it becomes a problem.

Jason

Generally speaking, if the flywheel is in good shape and isn't warped it'll work fine. :2cents:

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #13  
Good deal schneidvt, thanks for the explanation. When I got my 1500 more than twenty years ago it showed nine hundred something and often wandered how many hours were actually on it. I've put about 1300hr on it, so it has at least 2256hr. Wish I could be of help with your clutch job, but haven't had to split mine yet. Pics and any info you post about the clutch job is appreciated.

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #14  
The flywheel is plenty thick and would be hard to warp from heat, it could wear unevenly. If it looked decent, I would take a wood block and some 180 sandpaper to scuff the glaze off it.

Russell

Well, ran into my first big snag. The clutch kit I ordered came with the wrong parts included. Hopefully they can resolve this and get me the right parts. Looks like it'll be another couple weeks before I can get this thing back together.
IMG_20130227_133523.jpgIMG_20130227_133701.jpg

Jason

Also, they are telling me that the clutch disk will operate the same even with the reduced friction area, doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts on how much this will effect holding power?

IMG_20130227_133548.jpg
IMG_20130227_133602.jpg

Thanks, Jason

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #17  
We've run into a lot of new ones where the friction material is smaller. I assume a differnt material. Should be a sheet in the clutch kit that explains it. Overall we've had no issues with them holding, just make sure its the right one for your application obviously. If its right for your application then its just one more reason to resurface the flywheel, the clutch disk wont be riding in the same area as the old style plate.

On the flywheel resurface- You're talking 40$ to resurface a flywheel from a local engine builder, I dont see any good reason NOT to resurface it. I guess being this is my job I tend to do it the right way the first time, because the second time we are losing money. Its the same for new/ resurfaced rotors when installing new pads. I just dont like putting new pads on an old uneven rotor even when the customer doesnt want to resurface them for 15$ a pop. Doing it right the first time is just in my routine, but if you dont have the 40$ to resurface thats fine.

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #18  
Generally speaking, if the flywheel is in good shape and isn't warped it'll work fine. :2cents:

You have nothing to lose by saying that. If it slips or what have you, he has to split the tractor again. 40$ insurance policy, the cheapest one you'll ever find. I'd be putting all the seals he can as well. Flywheel can look ok and still be warped, it doesnt take a lot.

/ Ford 1500 Clutch Replacement #19  
I have split my 1700. I need to remove the flywheel. Anyone know how to lock the motor so I can pull the flywheel. It has just 1 2 1/2 inch bolt on the back of it.

So it took me longer to get back to this project than expected but once again I think I have gotten myself beyond the tools I have availible to me. I was able to remove the flywheel nut but am unable to remove the actual flywheel. I bolted angle iron across the flywheel and tried to tap it off from alternating sides but am a bit weary that ill damage the bottom end bearings if I get too forceful. My current rig is that I modified the old pressure plate to act as a puller and am alternating with penetrating lube and propane torches under tension to get it loose. Am I missing something or should I continue this procedure and hope for the best.