Ford 1100 4x4 Steering Shaft issue

/ Ford 1100 4x4 Steering Shaft issue #1  

nwmiFord1100

Tractor
Ford 1100 4x4
I have owned a 1979 Ford 1100 4x4 for 10 years now. 708 hours on clock. 4 weeks ago the steering shaft broke again. I t had also broke 4 years ago and welded it back together then, it had been welded prior to that at least once. I purchased a new aftermarket shaft off ebay $150. New Holland is out of production on this one. Had it installed and after approximately 6-8 hours of run time it snapped again, broke, kaput. The parts supplier will send a new one no problem. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue in this tractor or similar ones? Any ideas on how to improve or make the fix more permanent. Searching the web I have read of 2 other steering shaft breaks on 1100's. Are power assist units even available or a feasible fix?
Snapping a 5/8" steel rod takes some force. Kind of a mystery at this point.

I operate a 48" blower on the front, which for those who were wondering works pretty good, keep the belts snug. You have to realize the units limitations and basically if called for like the wetter and deeper the slower you go, but it moves it. I live in NW Lower Michigan so we do get some snow, 750 ft. driveway 1/3 uphill. In winter I keep my 5 ft. back blade on and is a pretty effective combination, works well scraping any hard pack built up and the blower can remove that. Also have a 5 ft. front blade. Had a tractor caddy made, works well for snaking thru the woods for firewood, often involves traveling in reverse with a 1/2 a face cord in it. I paid $4500.00 ten years ago from a dealer and it came with the blower, the front blade, and cab cover without doors.

Any input help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Ford 1100 4x4 Steering Shaft issue
Forgot. Have cab cover for sale and looking for ROPS bar.

/ Ford 1100 4x4 Steering Shaft issue #3  
Are you talking about the shaft that the steering wheel mounts to. Or the drag link that goes from the pitman arm(steering gear box) to front axle. Pics. would help.
Bill

The shaft the steering wheel mounts to. drag link is fine. Will need a few days for pics, haven't broken it apart today.

Trying to upload post pictures on here. IMG_4117.JPGIMG_4118.JPGIMG_4119.JPGIMG_4120.JPG

I could pull the shaft right out easily. I have new shaft coming. I am wondering if one took a 5/8" i.d. sleeve pipe and weld it on to build up the area if there was room in the housing.

/ Ford 1100 4x4 Steering Shaft issue #7  
That shaft is so clean it must be enclosed, therefore no extra room for a sleeve??? Looks like it was welded before without full penetration? Do you think it broke in the same place as before? Is there some unusual strain at that particular point?
I could imagine the front mount blower combined with no power steering means a lot of load on that shaft. Maybe your back blade is not enough counterweight for the front blower, forcing you to use (and get used to using) lots of torsional load on that shaft. Any way to hang more weight out near the blade?
You got your money's worth out of the tractor; maybe look for something with ps to upgrade, keep your attachments, and sell the repaired tractor for $3-4,000 and call it a good deal?
Jim

That shaft is so clean it must be enclosed, therefore no extra room for a sleeve??? Looks like it was welded before without full penetration? Do you think it broke in the same place as before? Is there some unusual strain at that particular point?
I could imagine the front mount blower combined with no power steering means a lot of load on that shaft. Maybe your back blade is not enough counterweight for the front blower, forcing you to use (and get used to using) lots of torsional load on that shaft. Any way to hang more weight out near the blade?
You got your money's worth out of the tractor; maybe look for something with ps to upgrade, keep your attachments, and sell the repaired tractor for $3-4,000 and call it a good deal?
Jim

Thanks for responding. Haven't broke the case apart yet so more to be revealed. The aftermarket company has sold 70 of these shafts with no returns complaints. It fits more than one model tractor. There are no service bulletins thru Ford /Holland on this issue. 2 people have suggested that there must be something binding somewhere. And the shim location etc. which we assumed was factory set may have played a part in the failure. The steering box was assembled by a experienced tractor mechanic, then put back on the tractor by another welder very handy equipment mechanical guy. We jacked the tractor up to see if there was any binding and it was smooth, while operating it for the 8 hours or so, there was no warning, like hopping, grinding, needing to force it or anything like that. We think there may be room for a sleeve, column is around 1 1/4". Yes, we think we can get to the last shaft to compare the two. I am not sure what you mean by full penetration?, I was surprised that there was a core, inner and outer. I have suspected the weight of the front blower, but also what often happens as you try to scrap one is constantly feathering adjusting the hydraulics to dial the blower height which can easily result in raising the front tires thus alleviating weight temporarily on the front wheels. I could fairly easily attach some weights to the back blade. You could be on to something, though I just bought the back blade this past summer and prior to that it spent most of its time moving snow or earth with either the front blade or blower and no weight on the back at all. I went six years before learning that I was driving and steering with a shaft that had been welded, then after re welding it again went another 4 years on that fix. Good way to look at it that I got my money worth, not sure which tractors would accept the mounts for the 48" blower or the front blade perhaps larger Fords in the series. I have replaced the clutch and spent a fair amount $3000. just keeping it in operational shape so that rolls into the equation. Will move tractor tomorrow to heated shop and begin disassembly and see the rest of the story and hopefully compare the two shafts. Will update after. Thanks.