slip clutch friction disc

/ slip clutch friction disc #1  

0dude

Tractor
newholland tc55da
I bought a brand name 3pt stump grinder and after using for approximatly 100 stumps, slip clutch friction discs needed replaced. Pto reads comer t40 4005, dealer charged me over $100 for two this size they are 5.50" outside, 3 1/16" inside, app 1/8 thick. I have combed the net in search of aftermarkets to match, most close i came to this size cost from $10 t0 $20, only ones I found that matched, were $40 each disc. Any suggestions as where to findat reasonable price or has anyone bought a disc that has a smaller inside and cut or ground to fit?

/ slip clutch friction disc #2  
i've refaced them using the hard 1/8" masenite and 3m spray glue for disc pads and clutch linings...

I tell ya.. it's not perfect.. but depending on application.. sure can work.. :)

/ slip clutch friction disc
Tried all three, all had disc 5.5" outside and 3" inside now to deternine if I can cut or grind down 1/16 on inside to make it 3 1/16". Thanks

/ slip clutch friction disc
I'll sure give it a try on old discs. Thanks

/ slip clutch friction disc #6  
post back what ya find.

/ slip clutch friction disc #8  
G'day it is possible to make clutch plates bigger id and grind down od have had to do it for some older machines I have worked on over here BUT please be very CAREFUL some of these plates are made with ASBESTOS!!!! Please use a good quality mask and other appropriate safety gear when working with this stuff. Good luck

Jon

/ slip clutch friction disc #9  
I posted this a couple years ago:
This Spring, during the annual Slipping of the Clutches festival, I noticed that one of the friction discs was missing some pieces - about 30% was gone. Good luck finding replacements locally - I wasted a perfectly good Saturday on that drill. A little patience and a charge to AgriSupply and my friction discs were on the front step in 4 days.

My advice is to get a spare set now, so you can get it running quickly when you need it.

/ slip clutch friction disc #10  
Sorry I can't help in finding new discs. But I'm wondering why they were worn out?? Maybe the clutch has been slipping a LOT. As with a brushcutter, I always loosen the clutch in the Spring and make sure it slips, then tighten and run a few minutes with a load. Then I stop and touch the clutch pack with my hand to see if it's warm or hot which would indicate it is constantly slipping. Tighten until it runs cool.

Sorry for the hijack.