Tractor
    Zen Noh ZL 1501 with loader and Modern brush hog

Default Engine has "blow by"......smokes for 20 seconds upon starting....Ring Job?

Zen Hoh.........like a Kubota 175. two cyl 17 hp. diesel

black smoke out of engine upon starting........Starter just went out due to oil in starter..... previous owner said it had some Blow By--
    Rings or worn cyls i guess

How much trouble is it to do a ring job and re-bore on this? estimated cost by average type of mechanic. My local car/truck mechanic fixes my outboard motor, car, truck,etc. with no problems and he said he has worked on tractors before. (he can re-build a Ferrari engine too)

These little tractor engines are new to me. Any one out there with previous re-build experience that could tell me if its a major problem. I am close
    to Houston and down the street from a big auto machine shop. thanks! don peak

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    john deere

Default Re: Engine has "blow by"......smokes for 20 seconds upon starting....Ring Job?

Oil in starter caused by rings , Ferrari mechanic , black smoke and a machine shop down the road , should not be much trouble at all .

Black smoke is not blow-by, black smoke is an over fuel condition not unusual at start-up. Twenty seconds does seem a little long though, possibly some leaky injectors. Bluish smoke is what you will usually see with blow-by. As far as oil in the starter I would say the most common cause of this is a bad oil pressure switch which is usually right above the starter. The switch leaks and drips oil on top of the starter and the oil seeps in. A really bad rear main seal or front transmission seal can do this too.

Brian

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Engine has "blow by"......smokes for 20 seconds upon starting....Ring Job?

i'd agree on the oily starter.

ditto on black smoke at startup.

a few seconds is 100% normal. a lil mor eon a cold NA diesel , as long as it starts easy, takes fuel fine, and clears up after them 20 seconds.. I wouldn't worry at all.