new member th70da

/ new member th70da #1  

kydick

Silver Member
Tractor
ford new holland
ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS GOING BAD ON A TN70DA NEWHOLLAND TRACTOR 2 WHEEL DRIVE. PUT AT LEAST 2 SETS IN EACH WHEEL EVERY YEAR SINCE BUYING THE TRACTOR NEW IN 2005. THANKS

Last edited:
   / new member th70da #2  
Do you run with mud packed around them?

/ new member th70da #3  
:welcome: to TBN

/ new member th70da
NO. JUST REGULAR FARM WORK. HAVE A FRONT END LOADER. USED TO KEEP 40 LBS AIR IN THE TIRES. SAW SOMEWHERE JUST NEEDED 24 LBS. TRIED THAT AND SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE BETTER BUT STILL GO THROUGH AT LEAST 2 SETS A YEAR. THANKS

/ new member th70da #6  
Are you using good quality bearings or Chinese?

/ new member th70da #7  
G'day and welcome it sounds to me like your bearing preload is wrong, how are you setting them up and what grease are you packing them with?

Jon

/ new member th70da #8  
Are the bearing races good or maybe pitted. Try replacing them along with the bearings. Check that the bearing fits correctly in the race, could be a wrong bearing size being used. I don't recall ever having to replace a wheel bearing in any of our farm tractors, just adjust them a little every couple years, but we didn't run FEL on them but did have lots of front end weights.

/ new member th70da #9  
G'day cups and cones of bearings should always be replaced as a set. Like you Gary I have seen alot of tractors both 2 and 4wd with loaders and without and I have prob only fitted 3 sets of wheel bearings in the last 5 years but adjusted prob 50

Jon

/ new member th70da
G'day cups and cones of bearings should always be replaced as a set. Like you Gary I have seen alot of tractors both 2 and 4wd with loaders and without and I have prob only fitted 3 sets of wheel bearings in the last 5 years but adjusted prob 50

Jon
THANKS FOR OPINIONS. ALWAYS HAVE PUT COMPLETE SETS OF BEARINGS IN THE WHEEL. NEW RACES BEARINGS SEALS. THINK I HAVE SEEN MEXICO GERMANY AND USA STAMPED ON THEN. ALWAYS GET THEM FROM THE DEALER. ALWAYS PUT GREASE THAT NEW HOLLAND DEALERS SALE. ALWAYS CLEAN THE HUB OUT WITH CLEANER AND LET IT DRY BEFORE PUTTING RACES AND BEARINGS BACK IN HUB. GOING TO VOCATIONAL SCHOOL 40 YEARS AGO I WAS TAUGHT TO PUT A BALL OF GREASE IN THE PALM OF MY HAND AND WORK THE BEARINGS DOWN IN THE GREASE AND WORK THE GREASE UP THROUGH THEM TAKES A WHILE TO DO IT BUT IT GETS THE GREASE IN THERE GOOD. I HAVE SEEN SOME PEOPLE JUST SMEAR GREASE ON THEM. HAVE A 1950 8N FORD A 1978 2600 FORD AND A 1998 3930 FORD.ALL BOUGHT NEW. NO PROBLEMS WITH THEIR BEARINGS NEITHER . MAYBE 2 CHANGES ON THE 8N AND 1 CHANGE EACH ON THE OTHER 2 OVER THE YEARS. I DO REPACK THEM EVERY 3 OR 4 YEARS. HAVNT TORQUGED AXLE NUTS JUST GET IT TIGHT AND BACK OFF UNTIL WHEEL TURNS WITH A LITTLE PRESSURE ON IT. THANKS AGAIN.