3 point problems on 851

/ 3 point problems on 851 #1  

851 roger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 851 Powermaster
I have a 1960 or close to it Ford 851 Power Master. I think it might be time for a new tractor, I'm so tired of messing with one!!!!
The 3 point lift got to where it would not go up and if it did as soon as it hit the top it would go all the way down. I just pulled the little dip stick out to see if it still had fluid (no signs of any leaks) and it has fluid allright, blum to the top of the stick and it is milkey white!!! I replaced all the fluids this winter and filled to the middle of the cross hatching on the stick.... SO WHAT IS GOING ON NOW????? Help please!!

/ 3 point problems on 851 #2  
milky white is water emulsion usually ( if air / foam.. entrainment.. it will settle out when off.

most peole simply drain oil and refill with no flushing.

draining a wet sump and refilling with oil leaves enough water in the sump to foul the new oil unless you run her 8hrs a day 5 days a week to get her nice and hot, often, and keep the moisture flashed off.

that's why i suggest a flush of part atf, diesel, and rubbing alcohol to dewater a sump.

now.

a few questions.

is the cork friction disc in place and have tension? ie.. if you lift the 3pt controal and the lift comes up.. you say it sometimes drops.. does the handle drop as well? if so.. that's a friction disc issue.

you can correct that from the outside partially disassembling the quadrant and friction plate. etc.

the milky oil.. needs to be flushed.

probably has a lil gunk and solid /thick emulsion flowing in the system as well. i can EASILLY see that sticking an unloader valve.

i'd dump in a gallon of diesel.. run her around the yard. exercise the lift a few times. run her 10-15 minutes.

then drain. then refill with 1g diesel, 2 quarts atf, and 4 pints of 90% rubbing alcohol. start back up and run around the yard a few laps.. exercise the lift.. then drain.. let drip fro 5 minutes. plug up and refill with utf meeting M2134 spec. now judge what she does.

if still acting up but not the quad lever. get a 15$ top cover kit and a 25$ fo-20 manual and pop the top cover off.. and repalce the cam pin.. orings.. and lift piston washer and oring.. then adjust the lift using the alternate instructions not using the nuday tools.

/ 3 point problems on 851
No the handle stays up. I can however pull the draft lever up straight and it will come up as long as I hold it there.
Now the other question is, do you suppose I can pour all that fluid along my fence row to kill the weeds??? If not I'll just dig a big hole!! I live kinda out in the country.

/ 3 point problems on 851 #4  
eco terrorism?

sorry.. can't help ya any further if you are gonna do that.

there are plenty of legal recycling options available for that waste oil.

Just kidding about that!! I'll take it to the local O'rilys auto store they have a big tank for that stuff.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go this weekend.

/ 3 point problems on 851 #6  
it's pretty straight forward repair on these oldies.

do it right once and you will likely never be into the hyds agian.. at least not for these issues.. etc.

On the hyd oil you mentioned it needs to meet M2134 spec.. The people at my local TS store didn't seem to know about that so I purchased Traveller ISO 46 hydraulic oil. Is that going to work? I'm not going to open it untill I know!!!

/ 3 point problems on 851 #8  
nope.. that's essentially jack oil.

M2C134 is a ford/NH spec.

tsc's UTF brands usually mee that spec.. it will be listed on the side of the jug.

I'd call that store manager and let them know it's time to hire some people that can read.. or train the ones they already have.

do NOT use that iso oil in your machine..

Ok here is the latest info: I exchange the hydraulic oil for some hydraulic fluid, put it in and bingo, half lift with the draft bar straight forward, and then it drifts up and down about 1", if I push the draft bar straight up it lifts all the way up, but only if I hold it there. Now on the dip stick level it is about 3" above the full mark.
Could there be another problem I don't know about? After I drained all the old fluid out the dip stick showed nothing. Could something be blocked or pluged up ?
I really need to get this done, I need to move some dirt and do some plowing. Thanks everyone!!!