need a new clutch -Ford 1720

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #1  

roman

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 30(sold) Ford 1520(sold) Ford 1720(sold) Kioti CK4010SE HST Cab
My tractor need a new clutch ,has a Sims cab and the shift lever pops out of second gear. Can someone tell me how many hours this repair should take?

Thanks

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #2  
By someone with transmission experience, suitable tools and technical information, or a first timer flying blind?
Starting with the loader and backhoe on or off? Or with the loader, hoe and sheetmetal removed and tractor pressure washed?
Transmission work takes lots of time and I'm not going to give an estimate because there are too many variables to consider.
The required time will be measured in tens of hours.

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #3  
Poping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. This problem could be as simple as changing a detent spring. Or do you have two problems. the clutch slips and it pops out of gear. If the clutch is slipping, have you tried adjusting it.
Bill

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #4  
Can you hold the gear in place with a bungy or hand pressure without jumping out. if so, then Bill is on the right track. transmission top cover can be take off simply and detent ball and spring should be checked. Can check the spring without removing the cover bu withdrawing the ball will be very difficult without removing transmission cover.

JC,

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #5  
Poping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. This problem could be as simple as changing a detent spring. Or do you have two problems. the clutch slips and it pops out of gear. If the clutch is slipping, have you tried adjusting it.
Bill
I agree, popping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. It's either a detent spring as stated above, or it could be a bent shifting fork from someone ramming the gearshift..

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #6  
By someone with transmission experience, suitable tools and technical information, or a first timer flying blind?
Starting with the loader and backhoe on or off? Or with the loader, hoe and sheetmetal removed and tractor pressure washed?
Transmission work takes lots of time and I'm not going to give an estimate because there are too many variables to consider.
And I can't believe, that after reading the OP's post you would still recommend a clutch replacement. And you work in a dealership.

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #7  

And I can't believe, that after reading the OP's post you would still recommend a clutch replacement. And you work in a dealership.

The OP claims he needs a clutch, and the transmission pops out of second gear. Not hard to take that at face value.
Is it not possible to believe that the machine has two concurrent problems?
Perhaps it has been popping out of second for some time, and now needs a clutch so he wants to address both problems at once. I've seen exactly that scenario play out.

My point was that in order to get even a vague idea of the time required for the repairs far more info is required.
I'm not selling the job to either him or especially you. If I were, I'd have far more info than I do.
Don, I have to think that by the timing and tone of the PM you sent me that you were under the influence at the time.
If not, you need to re-think the situation.

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #8  
The OP asked a question and Rick answered it. He didn't recommend a clutch replacement. The OP is a little vague on his problem so it could be interpreted as one problem or two.
Bill

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720 #9  
The OP claims he needs a clutch, and the transmission pops out of second gear. Not hard to take that at face value.
Is it not possible to believe that the machine has two concurrent problems?
Perhaps it has been popping out of second for some time, and now needs a clutch so he wants to address both problems at once. I've seen exactly that scenario play out.

My point was that in order to get even a vague idea of the time required for the repairs far more info is required.
I'm not selling the job to either him or especially you. If I were, I'd have far more info than I do.
Don, I have to think that by the timing and tone of the PM you sent me that you were under the influence at the time.
If not, you need to re-think the situation.

I thought long and hard before I posted.

I'm an over the road truck driver, and have been for over 11 years. Truckers normally only sleep 5 to 6 hours a day.........it comes with the job. I hit the sack at midnight last night, woke up at 5am today.

My tone was a direct result of previous posts on this forum, just as I said in my PM.

/ need a new clutch -Ford 1720
OK all, let me rephrase the question...

My clutch needs replacement. Given that, how many hours can I expect a mechanic with the facillity and proper tools to quote for replacement.

Thanks everone for your help.