Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1720

Default need a new clutch -Ford 1720

My tractor need a new clutch ,has a Sims cab and the shift lever pops out of second gear. Can someone tell me how many hours this repair should take?

Thanks
    Ford 1720, Sims cab, FEL, Woods subframe backhoe, Fisher 7' hydro angle plow, Wallenstein 3 pth splitter, 5' blade, 3 pth carry-all, 3 pth ballast

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Default Re: need a new clutch -Ford 1720

By someone with transmission experience, suitable tools and technical information, or a first timer flying blind?
    Starting with the loader and backhoe on or off? Or with the loader, hoe and sheetmetal removed and tractor pressure washed?
    Transmission work takes lots of time and I'm not going to give an estimate because there are too many variables to consider.
    The required time will be measured in tens of hours.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Poping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. This problem could be as simple as changing a detent spring. Or do you have two problems. the clutch slips and it pops out of gear. If the clutch is slipping, have you tried adjusting it.
    Bill

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Can you hold the gear in place with a bungy or hand pressure without jumping out. if so, then Bill is on the right track. transmission top cover can be take off simply and detent ball and spring should be checked. Can check the spring without removing the cover bu withdrawing the ball will be very difficult without removing transmission cover.

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked_on_HP View Post
    Poping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. This problem could be as simple as changing a detent spring. Or do you have two problems. the clutch slips and it pops out of gear. If the clutch is slipping, have you tried adjusting it.
    Bill
    I agree, popping out of gear has nothing to do with the clutch. It's either a detent spring as stated above, or it could be a bent shifting fork from someone ramming the gearshift..
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    By someone with transmission experience, suitable tools and technical information, or a first timer flying blind?
    Starting with the loader and backhoe on or off? Or with the loader, hoe and sheetmetal removed and tractor pressure washed?
    Transmission work takes lots of time and I'm not going to give an estimate because there are too many variables to consider.
    And I can't believe, that after reading the OP's post you would still recommend a clutch replacement. And you work in a dealership.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    And I can't believe, that after reading the OP's post you would still recommend a clutch replacement. And you work in a dealership.
    The OP claims he needs a clutch, and the transmission pops out of second gear. Not hard to take that at face value.
    Is it not possible to believe that the machine has two concurrent problems?
    Perhaps it has been popping out of second for some time, and now needs a clutch so he wants to address both problems at once. I've seen exactly that scenario play out.

My point was that in order to get even a vague idea of the time required for the repairs far more info is required.
    I'm not selling the job to either him or especially you. If I were, I'd have far more info than I do.
    Don, I have to think that by the timing and tone of the PM you sent me that you were under the influence at the time.
    If not, you need to re-think the situation.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    The OP asked a question and Rick answered it. He didn't recommend a clutch replacement. The OP is a little vague on his problem so it could be interpreted as one problem or two.
    Bill

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

The OP claims he needs a clutch, and the transmission pops out of second gear. Not hard to take that at face value.
    Is it not possible to believe that the machine has two concurrent problems?
    Perhaps it has been popping out of second for some time, and now needs a clutch so he wants to address both problems at once. I've seen exactly that scenario play out.

My point was that in order to get even a vague idea of the time required for the repairs far more info is required.
    I'm not selling the job to either him or especially you. If I were, I'd have far more info than I do.
    Don, I have to think that by the timing and tone of the PM you sent me that you were under the influence at the time.
    If not, you need to re-think the situation.
    I thought long and hard before I posted.

I'm an over the road truck driver, and have been for over 11 years. Truckers normally only sleep 5 to 6 hours a day.........it comes with the job. I hit the sack at midnight last night, woke up at 5am today.

My tone was a direct result of previous posts on this forum, just as I said in my PM.
    Don

Tractor
    Ford 1720

OK all, let me rephrase the question...

My clutch needs replacement. Given that, how many hours can I expect a mechanic with the facillity and proper tools to quote for replacement.

Thanks everone for your help.
    Ford 1720, Sims cab, FEL, Woods subframe backhoe, Fisher 7' hydro angle plow, Wallenstein 3 pth splitter, 5' blade, 3 pth carry-all, 3 pth ballast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast