Removing Gear shift lever

/ Removing Gear shift lever #1  

gejackso

Tractor
63 Ford 4000 diesel
20130309_132104.jpg1963 Ford 4000 diesel
Just bought this tractor and am going about seeing what needs done. I bought the tractor to use and not for looks. Don't know much about tractors and bought an older one specifically to learn about fixing them.

Clutch pedal is grossly loose where pivot attaches to transmission (sliding in and out of the transmission case). I have learned that there is a nut on the inside of the transmission that needs tightened if it has not fallen off, so I am trying to take off the panel on top of tranny to gain access. I have removed the nut and washers off of the gear shift lever but the lever wont come off. Taps with hammer and multiple attempts to pull if off with no movement. Am I missing something or do I need to smack it harder, just don't want to damage anything in the tranny.

Also, my next question will be about the shift pattern. The only gear that seems to match up with the pattern stamped on top the the tranny is neutral. The other gears don't seem to make sense (Reverse is down and to the left, which doesn't seem to match the pattern) Could the lever be malaligned and neutral still be in the right place?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20130309_132126.jpg
    20130309_132126.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 350
   / Removing Gear shift lever
Ok, was able to tap on the shaft and remove the shifter. Nut for the clutch pedal pivot has fallen off into the transmission case and is nowhere to be found. Any tricks on finding/removing it or whether a new nut will be easily obtained. Splitting the tractor is not an option. Thanks for your help.