Ford 1600 will not start

/ Ford 1600 will not start #1  

BEN1957

Tractor
Ford 1600
I have a Ford 1600 Tractor that will not start. I was working in a field with some heavy brush and stopped to take a break. When I went to start the tractor again nothing happened. The tractor was working fine. I was wondering if I could have broken a safety switch while in the brush. any help on the location of the safety switchs or hoe to test them would be appreciated.

/ Ford 1600 will not start #2  
check power tot he solenoid when trying to crank.. test lamp or meter.

if no power. check things like NS switches and pto switches. not sure what your model has.. etc.

/ Ford 1600 will not start
OK thanks
I will test that tomorrow. I know it has a clutch switch. Do you know where the neutral switch would be?

/ Ford 1600 will not start #4  
When you say it won't start, do you mean it cranks but doesn't start. Or it won't turn over.
Bill

/ Ford 1600 will not start
When I turn the switch the glow plug light comes on as normal but when I turn to start nothing happens. The battery is fully charged.

/ Ford 1600 will not start #6  
as I said. i'm not familiar with that model.

I'd look for switches around the mechanical linkage.. wires.. etc.

/ Ford 1600 will not start #7  
I think that to only safety on the 1600 is on the clutch.
Bill

/ Ford 1600 will not start #8  
I am having the same problem with my Ford 1600. I turned it off in the field to take a break and when I tried to start it again it wouldn't start. Only difference is that my tractor seems to want to turn over but it turns very hard. It's almost as if the engine is seized but I don't believe it is because I can see the flywheel turning. The starter begins to heat up and nothing happens. I replaced the battery cables thinking the problem was possibly a bad ground or not enough amperage but even with the new cables the same thing happens.
This happened to me a couple months ago. I cleaned the battery cables seemed to have resolved the problem but now it's back. Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?

/ Ford 1600 will not start #9  
A badly worn and hot starter draws a lot of current as the armature is too close to the fields from worn bushings. Does it do the same thing cold?
Jim

/ Ford 1600 will not start #10  
i agree.. might be worn busings and time for starter to hit the dr.