broken grease nipple

/ broken grease nipple #1  

johnhalf

Tractor
Century
Hi All,
Ok, I have a backhoe on my tractor. The boom of the backhoe has an opening about 1" x 2" to get at the grease fitting for the uper end of the boom cylinder. The grease fitting was a 45 degree angled so that with a little persuation you could get the hose from the grease gun onto it. Of course I used a little to much persuation and broke the darn thing of /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
Now I have a little hole to get at the fitting. Does anyone have an idea on how i could get the broken one out of there without removing the boom pivot and pulling the cylinder?
I know it's a long shot but I really don't want to take it apart right now! Thanks in advance.
jh

/ broken grease nipple #2  
Is it possible to use an easy out to get it out? Drill it and tap it?

Just a couple of ideas
Gordon

/ broken grease nipple #3  
JH.
pretty tuff to figure without having a hoe to look at but I know one trick that you might use to your advantage and that would be that if your problem is your easy out is too long simply guestemate the length you will need to tighten in the threads plus say a 1/4-1/2" then put your easy out in a vise at this mark and give it a shot with a bfh presto, short easy out, then you can either weld a nut on or grind a couple of flats to turn it with .They're usually not very tight ,you might even get it out by just sticking a welding rod to it but be careful with your aim or you'll really have a problem(threads)
Basically ,be creative and lots of luck

/ broken grease nipple #4  
Sit the bucket on the ground with the cylinder extended that has the broken zerk. Remove the pin that holds the cylinder at the end that has the broken zerk. Retract the cylinder enough to be able to work on the fitting.

/ broken grease nipple #5  
If you can get a drill to it you can get yourself a left hand drill bit. get it smaller than the hole for the zerk. apply pressure while turning the drill. this will sometimes work.

or you can get an ez out. you may have to check a industrial supply store to get one that small.

it would be a good isea to break it down after you remove it and clean the area so there are no metal trash pieces.