NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what.....

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #1  

gooffer69

Tractor
TZ18DA, TC45DA
So I undid the little 9/16 both that holds in the pin for the lower control arm on the right side... couldn't get the pin out. So I did the same thing on the left side and the pin came out while spinning the hole bolt/pin using a 3/4 spanner.... Then went back to right side, no go.... heat , WD, I managed to turn it 1/16 of a turn... then tried to continue and snap the tab part broke off the pin. Now I have like 1/8 of an inch sticking out but use vise grips or anything else is just going to mangle it up but I am sure it won't come out......

So what to do I think I can get in with a hack saw and cut the whole thing into 3 pieces by moving the control arm from side to side leaving me with 1/8inch piece left showing that's in the axle casting.... but will I have enough meat to be able to turn it with something ???? anyone been down this road ? or do I weld something to the outside now like a NUT and keep try to turn it ??? thoughts please..... certainly not going to buy a new housing.... :mad:

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what.....
photo(1).JPG

Picture always better.... problem is to the right is something that holds the rollbar/ cab support that prevents drilling access....

going thru all this trying to mount a woods BH7500-1 , I guess I will lube those pins better so next time I need my chipper in the back I can change them out in 5 min....

I am favoring the hacksaw method... first very close to the left inside, then push the lower arm all the way over and as close to the arm as possible.... leaves me like 1/4 of the pin to work with ....

any other genius ideas are more then welcome... like dry ice, paving torches... magic magnets....

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #4  
I would use an hacksaw or a thin cutting blade in an angle grinder to cut the pin, then use a gear puller to try to push the rest of the pin towards the centerline of the tractor.

Aaron Z

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #5  
View attachment 307498

Picture always better.... problem is to the right is something that holds the rollbar/ cab support that prevents drilling access....

I'm not sure what actually broke or how that system works! A picture of the opposite side would help to make a decision. Did the bolt "head" break or what? Is that bolt threaded into the housing, or is it threaded into the outer boss? Sorry, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the problem.

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #6  
Duroc, the pin is not threaded. It's just a pin with a flange welded to the end with a bolt hole. You bolt thru the flange and it holds the pin in place.

Goofer, I would use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to cut the pin. I think it is pretty soft. Once the arm is removed, you can probably put pressure on the stub to get it out of the outer support. If you have to, cut a piece of all thread to fit the gap and put a nut and several flat washers on it between the nut and the left side. Adjust the nut off the end of the all thread at the left side so that washers press against the casing and push the stub out of the outer support. You may be able to use a bolt to do the same thing instead of all thread.

Yep that the plan hacksaw the pin in half where the drop arm is now and then see how it goes... doubt it is soft metal after all the entire 2500lbs rear lift rating sits on that pin when using it. Getting the outer bit out should be easy I am worried about the inner but will report back. buying 3 more pins like that to mount the rear mounts on the woods BH7500-1... too bad I don't have the front mounts need to find someone that has them so I can figure out what to fabricate.....

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #8  
Duroc, the pin is not threaded. It's just a pin with a flange welded to the end with a bolt hole. You bolt thru the flange and it holds the pin in place.

Thanks! :)

Well the hacksaw was the lousy plan.... took like 20 blades and huge pain. The second cut I did with an old fashion manual metal saw... 20minutes and the drop arm came off... now left with 1/4 inch sticking out.

Tried all kinds of lube sprays, heat, freezing pin.... will absolutely not move.

Now I am thinking of taking off the tire, axle stand, and seeing if I can drill into it and get something stuck in it ? then I might be able to turn ?....

May be finding someone that can weld a nice FAT bar onto the 1/4 piece that is stuck in there is the better plan....

any thoughts ?

/ NH TC45DA rear lift arm bolt sheered off.... now what..... #10  
Weld a washer on the pin then weld a nut on the washer, put a wrench on it and turn. You'll be amazed what the welding heat will lloosen