Ford 8N Hydraulics

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #1  

Rick230

Tractor
Ford 8N 1950
I have a 1950 Ford 8N Tractor.
I lifted the plow and when the engine is off it very slowly
settles to the ground.

It does this wether or not the pto lever is forward or to the rear.

Is this normal or is there a slow leak?

If it is a leak how can I fix it?

Thanks,

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #2  
This is normal leak down,

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #3  
You may have a problem depending of how long it takes and how heavy the plow is. Does your oil have water in it?

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N Hydraulics
I checked the oil for water and it was clean, no water. New hydraulics were put in just before I bought it and has about 3 or 4 hours on it.
The plow is a middle buster and its heavy, I'm guessing about 50 to 75 lbs. I haven't timed it but after about 20 minutes to a half hour its on the ground.
With the engine running it doesn't move and it plows great.

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #5  
there is a leak there is a bad seal(just leaks into the resivor)i have a 8n and an naa with the same problem if you watch it when it it up with the engine running does it (jump) up and down slightly it is a minor issue that i just live with if you have something heavier it will be easier to see it if you start it does it raise back to where it was set if it does it is just the sealor the valve cant hold the weight

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics
Would that seal be difficult to change?
Is there a way to check it to see if it leaks?

I'll check tomorrow to see if it jumps up and down any while running, I don't believe it does.

How much weight would be too much?

Thanks for all the help from everyone!

I will be picking up a manual for the 8N this week.

Should I lower the implement to the ground when I stop the engine?

Does it matter if the PTO Lever on the left side is engaged or not?

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #7  
I checked the oil for water and it was clean, no water. New hydraulics were put in just before I bought it and has about 3 or 4 hours on it.
The plow is a middle buster and its heavy, I'm guessing about 50 to 75 lbs. I haven't timed it but after about 20 minutes to a half hour its on the ground.
With the engine running it doesn't move and it plows great.

That's pretty normal. There may be a slight leak in the lift cylinder but if it akes 20-30 miutes to leak down, it's a small leak and hardly worth removing the lift cover. You an pull the sideplate and look for a leaking pressure relief valve but what your seeing is pretty normal.

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics
Great, I'll leave it alone unless it causes a problem.

Each day I learn something new. So far everything I've read about these being a great tractor is true.

The more I use it the more I like it.

Thanks again.

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #9  
Mine leaks down at a similar rate...something like 20min (never timed it accurately) and the rear blade will be on the ground. It's not worth fixing...very minor issue.

/ Ford 8N Hydraulics #10  
The tractor is telling you to put implements down when parked. :)

Bruce