international harvester 234

/ international harvester 234 #1  

ihgill

Tractor
ih234
Hello I have a 234 tractor that wont start by cranking but if i pull it . it will start i have no clue why. any suggestions would be great thanks

/ international harvester 234 #2  
Just taking a wild guess here, but two thoughts come to mind. Is your battery up to full potential to spin the engine as it should..?? If so, I'd have to guess lack of compression.

Using the starter just doesn't spin it fast enough to compensate for lost compression, whether around the rings, or valves. Where as pulling it, spins the engine fast enough to overcompensate for the lost compression.

Are you the original owner, and how many hours are on it..??

If it has been idles quite a bit, it may have the cylinders glazed, causing a loss of compression. Or..., maybe started quite a few times in cold weather using ether, drying the cylinders/cutting oil from the cylinder walls, causing ring wear. Does it consume much oil to speak of..??

Sounds like it may be well worth taking a compression check on it. And that takes a high pressure compression tester designed for diesel engines, as it should have an approx. 18:1 ratio, compared to 6:1 or so for a gas tractor engine.

/ international harvester 234
bought the tractor has 210 hrs. compression is up at 200 on all 3 cyl . had to put new rockerarm on no.3 cylinder have to check the battery dont know the cca.

/ international harvester 234 #4  
300 PSI is considered the minimum for most diesel engines, so it sounds like rebuild time.

/ international harvester 234 #5  
I have a 234 tractor, diesel, and the glow light does not come on. Hence will not start. Any thoughts? Thanks. Lawrence