Kubota L225

/ Kubota L225 #1  

xtractor

Tractor
Kubota l225
Hi.
I have a few questions about my early 70's Kubota L225.
There is an oil cap in the centre of the housing below the steering wheel. What is this for? Should it be gear oil or hydraulic oil and how do I check the oil level? There is a nut under the seat on the LHS that looks like it could be for checking the oil level. When I opened it oil came out at least.
Is the 3 point linkage lifted by a hydraulic pump or is it mechanical?
The lift is very slow, weak and juddery. There is a small oil leak from one of the seals on the arms. I'm guessing this is why it is not working properly.
Is there a hydraulic pump in this machine or is it something you can add on? I dont see any hose fitting around the pto on the back.
I have bought new filters and plan to change all oils as I was advised to do this yearly even with light use. This a good idea?
Apologies if these questions are very basic. I plan to use the tractor more from now on and dont want to do damage. I do dabble with mechanics out of interest and necessity in equal parts but not tractors as of yet and I'm no expert.
Thanks for any advice proffered.
James

/ Kubota L225
(In case anyone has the same trouble)
The oil I was looking for is SAE 80 W. I changed the oils and all the filters and it solved the problem with the lift on the 3 point linkage. The hydraulic oil filter was the culprit. Clogged with all sorts. Can be easily washed out but had a new one bought anyhow. Am now looking into getting a 20ton log splitter and getting it fitted with the tractors pump to drive it. Some say no problem others say it wont be able for it. I know it will only deliver about twelve tons of pressure on the splitter but that's plenty. Any info again appreciated. Not sure who to believe at present. Would prefer not to have to get a separate pump driven off the PTO to drive the ram for splitter.

/ Kubota L225 #3  
Congratulations on sorting out your lift problem. I usually change engine oil & filter every 100 hours of operation or yearly, whichever comes first. Hydraulic oil & filter gets swapped every 200 hours.

At 3.7 gpm & 1700 psi, I think the tractor's pump will be a disappointment running a 20 ton splitter, unless you are in no hurry. Compare with a 3pt model:

Powerhorse Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter 20 Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

But you could get buy a hydraulic pump to run off the PTO at higher flow, which should give that splitter crisp performance. Not cheap, but if your time is short and you have a lot of wood to process, it might be a good trade:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS9-1047-3.pdf

The HC-PTO-2A or AC look like they would be good matches. Others on here, more knowledgeable than me about hydraulics, may have better advice ...

Good luck keeping that old orange iron going and keep us updated!

Jim

/ Kubota L225
Thanks for the reply Jim. Will do the oil and filters regularly from now on. I had thought with such light use it wasn't a necessity. I plan to use it alot more over the next few years though.
That's good to know it will be slugish with the intended splitter. The guy that sells them said it should be fine only it will deliver about 12 tones of pressure with the tractor pump driving it.
The Northern tools one looks good but an equivalent one here (Ireland) at the local is more than double the price. That's for their low horizontal one too which wont do my back pain much favours.
Anyhow will look into one with a pto driven pump and make life simpler.

I'll post the results
Cheers
James
Congratulations on sorting out your lift problem. I usually change engine oil & filter every 100 hours of operation or yearly, whichever comes first. Hydraulic oil & filter gets swapped every 200 hours.

At 3.7 gpm & 1700 psi, I think the tractor's pump will be a disappointment running a 20 ton splitter, unless you are in no hurry. Compare with a 3pt model:

Powerhorse Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter 20 Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

But you could get buy a hydraulic pump to run off the PTO at higher flow, which should give that splitter crisp performance. Not cheap, but if your time is short and you have a lot of wood to process, it might be a good trade:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS9-1047-3.pdf

The HC-PTO-2A or AC look like they would be good matches. Others on here, more knowledgeable than me about hydraulics, may have better advice ...

Good luck keeping that old orange iron going and keep us updated!

Jim

/ Kubota L225 #5  
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting that you get a new splitter, just a PTO driven hydraulic pump from which you can power your present splitter. Still not cheap, but a lot less than a whole new splitter!

/ Kubota L225
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting that you get a new splitter, just a PTO driven hydraulic pump from which you can power your present splitter. Still not cheap, but a lot less than a whole new splitter!

Yep got that. I haven't bought a splitter at all yet.
Ta
James