Electrical Problem...I Think

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #1  

rps

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT180D
My Mitsubishi MT180D ran fine when I left for vacation, but when I tried to start it yesterday, nothing happened. I tried to jump it off. When that did not work, I checked the battery connections and tested the voltage. It has 12v to the starter when the key is off but drops to almost 0 when I turn the key. The dash lights and gagues do not come on. Every now and then something I do makes them come on, but I can't make it happen when I want to.

How should I track this problem down?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #2  
Well, you have a totally dead battery. I would charge it first and see if it will hold a charge. You probably left something on that drained it down while you were gone or it just bit the dust and will have to be replaced.

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #3  
Bad battery or loose/corroded connection somewhere.

Good luck

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #4  
Check your cables as well. A lot of times the cable itself gets corroded, not just the terminal ends. This prevents you from jumping it with a good battery. I had this happen on my Case and it did exactly what you're seeing. Sometimes I'd get enough juice through the cable, other times not.

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #5  
You say you checked your connections. Does that mean you just checked the tightness? Or did you remove the clamps and clean the terminals? Corrosion will form inside the clamp and insulate it from the post. You can't always tell by looking. Get a battery post/clamp cleaning tool (auto store). It has a wire brush made for cleaning the post and the inside of the clamp. What you describe is the classic symptoms of bad connection. As mentioned before, it could also be the other end of the cable where it attaches to the frame or engine.

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #6  
Check the positive post and terminal for a black oxide coating- this stuff makes a good insulator. It is also quite hard- you may have to scrape it off with a knife.

/ Electrical Problem...I Think
Thanks everyone. With your suggestions, figured out that the positive cable was corroded where it connects to the clamp. Sometimes it is the little things that stump me the worst.

I appreciate your help.

Robert

/ Electrical Problem...I Think #8  
Check both ends of those cables, too. One of the most harrowing things is for a poor ground connection! That will make all kinds of strange things happen!