Do you use "supplied air" for painting?

/ Do you use "supplied air" for painting? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Again I am thinking of buying a supplied air respirator to use hardener with while painting farm equipment. The danger from isocyanites keeps me limited to alkyd or acrylic enamel but I really want to move up the ladder to two-stage paints and especially hardeners. My delay in buying is I am hoping the price comes down. So far it hasn't and the best deal I can find on a supplied air system is this one.
There does not seem to be a plain old respirator safe/approved for use with isocyanites.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssc-3800-32/media/images

Anyone use this one or what do you use? I really want to step up a bit but $600 and change is a lot of extra money to paint farm equipment. Any advice on this?

/ Do you use "supplied air" for painting? #4  
I still use the 3m cartridge respirators with 2 stage paints but I paint cars in a booth with a bigazz fan and I don't spend much time in with the paint fumes either I get out as soon as I can. I think that is a great idea you are thinking about the real respirators though for your heath. I hear they get cumbersome if you need to move around lot but you can get used to it.

/ Do you use "supplied air" for painting? #5  
Again I am thinking of buying a supplied air respirator to use hardener with while painting farm equipment. The danger from isocyanites keeps me limited to alkyd or acrylic enamel but I really want to move up the ladder to two-stage paints and especially hardeners. My delay in buying is I am hoping the price comes down. So far it hasn't and the best deal I can find on a supplied air system is this one.
There does not seem to be a plain old respirator safe/approved for use with isocyanites.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssc-3800-32/media/images

Anyone use this one or what do you use? I really want to step up a bit }and change is a lot of extra money to paint farm equipment. Any advice on this?

This is the one I have:It is on ebay being sold by Turbineproducts. You can get it with masks, half or full or several
types of hoods. I use the one with the hood. When I got it, I had a full beard and the masks could not be used...
With the hoods, the positive air pressure keeps anything from getting in..

/ Do you use "supplied air" for painting? #6  
I have a unit called the Hobby Air 1/2 mask...have had it for about 5+ years. WORKS GREAT

i actually used it yesterday when i did the after winter touchup on the plow and snowblower. Did not smell a bit of the paint.

Mine uses a 4" flex hose to suck intake air from outside my shop, thru a hepa filter. It supplies air to me thru a 50' hose.

I use it everytime i operate the plasma cutter.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/ahaline.aspx?gclid=CNuB7uvP_7UCFVSVMgodtmIABg

/ Do you use "supplied air" for painting? #7  
please... never use these paints without a fresh air supply .....

see what Crazy glue does to your skin? ... that's what happens to your lungs with the VAPOR from the paint ... it melts your lung tissue together and lungs do not regenerate.

do not attempt to use the air from your compressor if it uses oil and pistons ..... the oil vapors given off will cause lymphoid pneumonia.

a cheap system is an old round hair dryer on high speed ( remove the heating element ) duct tape a pool hose to it then run the other end to your "personal painting hood" .... put the hair dryer OUTSIDE in fresh air and turn it on.... use disposable coveralls and have at it. key thing is to have fresh air and positive pressure around your head.

don't sit back and admire your work before cleaning the spray gun .... unless you only want to use the gun once.