Curved exhaust versus flapper

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #21  
I prefer a curved stack. A straight stack even with a noisy flapper puts out soot when you start it cold which then lands on the hood. Even when it is parked inside.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper
Has anyone ever stuck an engine because their tractor was left out with an uncovered exhaust pipe that had a curved end? How about with a flapper? I've already gotten one motor stuck and don't want a repeat performance.
Stuckmotor

I goofed with my original question. My main intent, was to find out whether the curved exhausts kept out water if they didn't have a can on top. I've never owned one, and couldn't see any other reason for the curve.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #23  
I have one each and trust the curved option better in limbs but both seem to work OK.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #24  
Even with a curved pipe when the wind blows the rain will get in. It destroys the muffler, usually the muffler has a drain hole so nothing gets into the engine.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #25  
What can go wrong with a flapper? Bought a new JD 5075 last summer, first thing I did was take a saws-all on the curved stack and put a flapper on it.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #27  
Worked on engine applications for 3 major manufacturers during my career. All at one time used flappers. All had excessive customer complaints - flappers fail due to vibration, seizing open, major amounts of water get into engine muffler drain can't handle. All now have curved exhaust. Major thing to remember is covering if hauling with end facing direction of travel because in theory air is spinning turbo which is not lubricated if engine isn't running but I couldn't verify any warranty hits where this actually happened but I have turbo warranty hits so it is possible. I tape over mine just for safety. Flapper failure main complaint actually was the mess created when an engine is started after water has been sitting in the muffler. That sooty mess, when dried, is nearly impossible to get off without taking paint with it.

Even with a curved pipe when the wind blows the rain will get in. It destroys the muffler, usually the muffler has a drain hole so nothing gets into the engine.
Thank you, John. That was quite helpful.

Worked on engine applications for 3 major manufacturers during my career. All at one time used flappers. All had excessive customer complaints - flappers fail due to vibration, seizing open, major amounts of water get into engine muffler drain can't handle. All now have curved exhaust. Major thing to remember is covering if hauling with end facing direction of travel because in theory air is spinning turbo which is not lubricated if engine isn't running but I couldn't verify any warranty hits where this actually happened but I have turbo warranty hits so it is possible. I tape over mine just for safety. Flapper failure main complaint actually was the mess created when an engine is started after water has been sitting in the muffler. That sooty mess, when dried, is nearly impossible to get off without taking paint with it.
Thank you, Harry. My WD must have had too small a drain or none at all . The MF doesn't have a turbo.