Farmall Cub wont crank

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #11  
you have 2 wires that bolt up to the generator follow them look for a black metal box that will probably have 3 wires coming from it that is the regulator if you take it off please mark the wires where to go because the 3 wire are the armature---field---generator normally must be hooked up the same will not work see if there is a number on it post it will help you find one need to

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #12  
If it is the original 6 volt system Mage sure the pos. is ground neg. to starter. I disconnected a battery on a cub to charge it and someone not knowing that pos. was ground hooked it the wrong way. When they went to start it turned over but cooked the regulator.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Farmall Cub wont crank
I really thought it was the battery but it wasn't! I got a man to come to my house who has had these tractors around him all his life. the starter,coil,and carburator where all bad. I was crazy enough to by the cub for 2000$. Its probably worth about 200$.

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #15  

$2,000. Is about average price depending on attachments , I have seen them for much more needing work. They are little jem's and when you get it right it will make you smile. Not much can kill them and easy to work on so many out there parts are easy to find. Still wondering why the battery died on you. Pictured is about a 57 or 58 I found re did it for our American legion baseball field. Would have loved to have kept it. But my 88 yr. old uncle has 4 of them parked next to me I can play on any time.

Attachments

• image-3432380267.jpg
    image-3432380267.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 333
   / Farmall Cub wont crank #16  
hmm.. it turned over fine 2 weeks ago.. and now the starter is shot?

COULD be.. but I'd get a 2nd opinion.

carb? rebuild it.. it's easy.. kit is 15 $

coil? rarely go bad.. but are cheap.

when they do go bad.. it's usually because a key was left on.. or a 6v system run on 12v.

a 59 is 6v. 12v wasn't OEm till mid 66.

the fact your bat died leads me to believe there may be a short.. or bad vreg.

oem genny is A circuit.

armature may be called generator onthe vreg. then you have field and ground and battery. ground may be a tab on some of the vregs.. ie.. some are 3 and some are 4 tabs..

lotsa different things. was yours ever on a magneto?.. charge switch with tickler inthe light switch?

does it indeed have a generator or has an alternator been added?

post back dome details.

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #18  
if it has had an ALT scabbed onto it.. it is very likely negative ground.. ( positive and isolated groiund altas are out there.. but rare.. ).

hooking up a alt to the incorrect polarity pretty much instantly kills it...

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #19  
Did you put a new 6 volt or 12 volt battery? Those tractors were set up on 6 volt systems. 12 volts has a tendacy to screw up the whole system.

/ Farmall Cub wont crank #20  
Don't go looking to buy new starter and geenerator. Both can be rebuilt by any good tech. The price will be a fraction of what you would pay for a new rebuilt one, if you can find one.