Jinma 284 engine knock

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #1  

dulm

Tractor
Jinma 284
I'm new to this forum and a new (first time) tractor owner. I've just taken delivery of a 2012 Jinma 284 w/aftermarket FEL. According to the hour meter, the engine literally has less than 1 hour on it. I've been operating the tractor lightly around my property just to get familiar and comfortable with it. Upon delivery I performed an inspection of the vehicle ensuring all fluids were at the proper levels and that everything was secure. This morning the tractor started normally with no issues. I let it warm up for a few minutes and then began driving it in 2nd gear (high range) at about 1300 RPM. After just a few minutes of operating at a constant speed / RPM, the engine suddenly began knocking accompanied by more than normal black smoke from the exhaust. I reduced the RPM and got it off the road and shut it down. I fear a thrown connecting rod but am not sure how to go about checking for it. I've never worked on a diesel. Any help of where to start would be appreciated.

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #2  
throwing a rod is unusual for any engine , unless rev'ed high or run low on oil...

black smoke indicates unburned fuel ....

the knocking noise is probably from piston slap ( one or more cylinders trying to produce too much power from the over fueled condition ).

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #3  
your going to blow your motor with the rod an piston knocking.id overhaul it now before it slings the rod an piston through the oil pan.been there done that.

/ Jinma 284 engine knock
I put in a call to the dealer I purchased from. He knew immediately what the issue was and how to correct it. Apparently it's fairly common for air to get introduced into the fuel injector system during vehicle shipment (in my case 400 miles). An air bubble in the fuel line will cause the knocking. Remedy: with engine running, loosen the fuel line at each injector (one at a time) for about 10 seconds to bleed out the air. I happened to start with the #1 injector first and noted the release of fuel and air bubbles from the line. I continued to let it bleed until the air bubbles disappeared. As soon as I retightened the line the engine knock and black exhaust smoke ceased. I repeated the process for the number 2 and 3 injectors. No air bubbles were noted from either fuel line. Problem solved and a great lesson learned. Thanks for responding to my post.

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #5  
Glad you fixed it and your dealer helped you out. I almost got a Jinma but chickened out.
Congrats on your new tractor.:thumbsup:

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #6  
Welcome to TBN ......glad you found your problem. Just curious.....why doesn't the dealer check for this before delivery?? If it is a known problem......I think he could easily check to prevent concerned customers???:2cents:

/ Jinma 284 engine knock
Good question.....not sure if the dealer's explanation is credible but he said the condition sometimes occurs as a result of air being introduced to the sloshing fuel during shipment. I think it's entirely possible there is a fault somewhere in the Jinma fuel system that allows air to enter. Time will tell.

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #8  
Good question.....not sure if the dealer's explanation is credible but he said the condition sometimes occurs as a result of air being introduced to the sloshing fuel during shipment. I think it's entirely possible there is a fault somewhere in the Jinma fuel system that allows air to enter. Time will tell.

I'd be willing to bet that you won't have this problem again......good luck with the tractor and go have some fun!!:thumbsup:

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #9  
fairly common with VW diesels ( especially the 1.6 )

when it happens, it sounds like a regular gas engine ready to throw a rod ..... (I can understand your concern at the time it happened)

check the hose clamps / fittings for looseness at the fuel filter and at the pump..... any air drawn into the system can cause it.

the air bubble acts as a shock absorber and the pump check valves won't operate correctly..... no real damage is done , but scares the H#ll out of you when it happens......

it will also clear itself after about 5 minutes of idling.

BTW wear gloves anytime you crack an injector line if the engine is running. if diesel gets injected under your skin, the only solution is to cut the skin/ tissue out or gang green will set in.

/ Jinma 284 engine knock #10  
I think it's very common for Jinmas to be delivered with virtually no diesel in them, and because of that combined with being shipped a long distance,air to be introduced to the injection system.. Did the dealer you purchased it from already change out the drive train fluids with US quality replacements? If not that probably should be on the soon to be done list, and possibly flushed out first.. Congratulations on your new tractor, and glad you got a loader, you will be amazed at all the things loaders can do (worlds best back savers):) enjoy