ford 5600 clutch

/ ford 5600 clutch #1  

seventyfour

Tractor
ford 5600
I have a 79 Ford 5600 with a slipping clutch and cannot seem to get a honest answer from the local repair shops on the cost to repair my tractor. I am a pretty good mechanic but have not had to split a tractor before and do not know if i am willing to learn the hard way. If anyone can give me a estimated cost in the shop or a rough idea what is involved in splitting the tractor and doing the repairs myself it would help a lot so I am not at the mercy of a repair shop.

Thank You

/ ford 5600 clutch #2  
i imagine that beast will be a few thou bcks in a shop.

I beat on smaller, older fords... though I just did a slightly smaller JD ( 2240 ).. still not wanting to tackle my 5000 but it is going to need a clutch by the end of the year I fear.

big single palte job.

mostly just manhandling the tracto.. blocking the front axle pivot.. and dealing with deadweight of the halves. going to need a flat surface and a helper for sure.

ask user RickB here for an idea.. he's a NH parts guy. straight talke.. knows his stuff inside and out// backwards..e tc. can give you a price quote.. perhaps even sell you some parts..

another user Whodat also works on those later machiens I believe. he can offer some insight as well.

/ ford 5600 clutch #4  
The total cost of a "clutch replacement" on a 35+ year old 5600 is somewhat of a moving target, depending on the condition of some expensive parts. The least amout of parts & machine work that can be hoped for is replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, release & pilot bearings along with a flywheel resurfacing. A more thorough job would include replacing the frostplugs at the rear of the block & head, replacing the rear main crankshaft seal & transmission input shaft seals, and the rear camshaft cover. These parts are often changed because they are 9relatively) cheap and are considered to be preventative to problems in the (near) future. A tractor with moderate or high hours may require replacemant of the flywheel due to multiple resurfacing over the years, and the PTO/hydraulic pump drive shaft and drive hub splines may exhibit excessive wear and be due for replacement. This situation drives the cost of the job up substantially because the parts are expensive and shaft replacement requires the transmission to be split from the rear axle center section as well as the expected clutch housing split. Therefore a "clutch job" on a 5600 can run from a few hundred dollars worth of parts to a few thousand dollars worth of parts and labor. A tractor equipped with a cab, loader and/or 4WD will drive the cost further than a bare 2WD machine.
A completely accurate estimate cannot be made until the tractor is split and the clutch/flywheel/PTO shaft & hub interface is evaluated.

/ ford 5600 clutch #5  
On the other hand, if you're willing to take your time, do it yourself. Do a little shopping online and you can find a clutch kit for as little as $250. It all depends on what you're willing to spend. Should you opt do "do it yourself", I suggest you open it up before placing your parts order, so you can confirm the plate diameter, the shaft size and spline count to minimize confusion and returned parts. Once you have it opened up, you can decide whether to go any deeper based on what you find. There's plenty of help here on what to look for and how to do whatever needs done.

/ ford 5600 clutch
On the other hand, if you're willing to take your time, do it yourself. Do a little shopping online and you can find a clutch kit for as little as $250. It all depends on what you're willing to spend. Should you opt do "do it yourself", I suggest you open it up before placing your parts order, so you can confirm the plate diameter, the shaft size and spline count to minimize confusion and returned parts. Once you have it opened up, you can decide whether to go any deeper based on what you find. There's plenty of help here on what to look for and how to do whatever needs done.

thank you for your quick response and the information.

/ ford 5600 clutch #8  

A New Holland OEM Reman Clutch kit for a 5600 (with 12" clutch) can cost as little as $290 exchange right from your local NH dealer. No shipping cost, no hassle. Plate, disc, release & pilot bearings.

/ ford 5600 clutch #9  
that's a darn good price!

/ ford 5600 clutch #10  
In you area you probably have a clutch or brake relining shop. Check for something like industrial or truck clutch repair in the phone book. Basically take the whole clutch assembly in just as you removed it from the tractor and let them resurface and reline it. Usually they will have a new clutch plate will resurface the pressure plate. Most of the time they will have the correct bearings and will redo it and put it back together and give you an alignment tool and tell you how to put it in. Probably 200 or so.