rebuild 25hp kohler?......or not

/ rebuild 25hp kohler?......or not #1  

rockrun

Tractor
areins
the dixie chopper we had at work seemed as though it was locking up,it would turn over with the plugs out but just barley.anyway i have it now and im wondering whats the least expensive way to get it going.i thought about looking for a used engine but im not sure what will work and what wont,i can rebuild it.any ideas,thanks

/ rebuild 25hp kohler?......or not #2  
Check out Small Engines Warehouse. Their prices are very fair. Give them the make and model and most of the time the engine will match everything including the wireing harness I have bought three engines from them with great results.

/ rebuild 25hp kohler?......or not #3  
Kohlers have a lot of crossover. My Deere had a CH20 that shot craps and I started watching Ebay auctions. Ended up finding a new 23 HP CH670 for about $600 from OPE engines ( the 20 HP deere spec engine was $2000). Two commercial seasons later, itis still running BETTER than new! Many of the engines in a series use the same block and major components. When you go to Kohlers website, you can look at engine diagrams w/ measurements and you can look at the spec numbers of every series. Usually, the main thing when looking for a replacement engine w/ different spec number is to check the website and make sure it has the same crank diameter and length. Kohler uses a very standardized wiring system too, so if your engine has "special" wire plugs/connector ( like my F680 did) it is easy to simply trace them on your old engine, cut that connector off and splice it onto the new motor. www.kohlerplus.com is an awesome site. enter as guest and look your engine up. You can then start going through the site and looking at other engines with same/similar specs. From there, you can decide what engines/spec numbers will be compatible. OPE listed a CV730-014 as a 25 hp Dixie Chopper ZTR replacement engine (BIG bucks!!). Partsplus shows it has a 1 1/8" crank that is 3 5/16" long. When you look up the crank, you can go to the top right of the screen and click on the part number then another screen opens up and you can click on "where else used" and look for other CV730's with a 1 1/8"x 3 5/16" crank......any of those engines would work. There are probably 25 CV730 engines, 10 CV740 engines and several CV745 engines that would bolt right in, use your old exhaust, wiring connectors etc. as needed. This engine Kohler Engine CV730 3139 CV730 3117 CV730 E3 CTP ZTR Estate | eBay has the same crank spec.....idles and revs a little high but that is easy to change or your carb will bolt right on.

Here's one that works that is cheaper yet...Kohler Engine CV730 0115 CV730S Ariens ZTR | eBay

Or this Kohler Engine CV730 3111 CV730 0111 CV730 Replacement Magic Circle | eBay or this Kohler Engine CV730 3134 CV730 Replacement MTD Zforce | eBay

or a Dixie engine for $2200 Kohler Engine CV730 0014 69554 CV730S Magic Circle ZTR | eBay

Or if you'd like to bump the HP us to 27 Kohler Engine CV740 0114 CV740S Ariens ZTR | eBay

Hope this helps. Check out the partsplus website if you would consider going none OEM.

There is