Vermeer Stump Grinder

/ Vermeer Stump Grinder #1  

Blaneypark

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790, JD4100,JD318,JD216 Grasshopper 322D,Wright 52 Stander
I have a Vermeer 222 Stump grinder. Has anyone had any success in sharpening the carbide teeth on one. I have tried a "green wheel" with no luck. Any ideas out there?

/ Vermeer Stump Grinder #2  
How are you holding the tooth and what type of grinder? Sharpening carbide would require either the "Green Wheel" or a diamond wheel. The green wheel will wear a lot in the process. I would recommend the diamond wheel and a method to hold the tooth and control the amount each pass takes off. It will not sharpen fast.
I have not sharpened any of the teeth but I have sharpened lathe tooling. All carbides grind similar but there are many different grades of carbide.

Russell

/ Vermeer Stump Grinder
I tried to use a 4" grinder but had no control. Made a jig to sit on a drill press table and moved the jig back and forth. Had control but a very very slow process.

/ Vermeer Stump Grinder #4  
Without tooling to hold and control the cut, it might be better to take it to a shop that can do the job. If you do it yourself, wear a dust mask. The carbide dust is bad for your lungs.

/ Vermeer Stump Grinder #5  
I just get them retipped at discount stump cutters .com or something like that. I tried sharpening one once and after a few min all I did was polish it.