I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues...

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues... #1  

LotharKrepke

Howdy,

I have a Kubota B2772 snow thrower mounted on my B2710, and I am having an odd problem:

On one side, the auger shear pin is missing, but the auger is fixed to the drive shaft just as it would be if the pin were in place. The drive shaft is clean, and well greased. There is no rust.

I can use the thrower in this condition, but I hesitate to do it because I don't want to risk scoring the drive shaft. I can't install a new pin because I am unable to move the outer sleeve in relation to the inner shaft, and right now, the hole for the pin is nowhere to be seen.

My guess is that the pin broke, but some pieces of it got jammed between the auger sleeve, and the interior shaft.

In any case, I would value suggestions about how to proceed. I suppose that I could disassemble that part of the thrower, and then drive the interior shaft out, but there might be a better approach.

Thanks for any help on this,

Lothar

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues... #2  
your going to have to take it apart I think.

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues... #3  
my old mower did the same thing at times...drove me nuts., i finally just used it with the pin broken off until it freed itself up and could be moved manually then used a punch to extract broken pin.

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues...
your going to have to take it apart I think.

Hi Murph,

You may well be correct, but...

Don't you think that you could have waited more than a minute to give me that news...? :laughing:

Many thanks,

Lothar

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues... #5  
or simply measure up the pin, drill another hole to match and install the new pin. one possibility ....;)

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues...
my old mower did the same thing at times...drove me nuts., i finally just used it with the pin broken off until it freed itself up and could be moved manually then used a punch to extract broken pin.

Howdy,

I originally thought to do that, but somehow convinced myself that doing it would score up the drive shaft.

It might... but so what? The fit between the shaft and the sleeve is very loose, so I see little to lose by trying what you suggest.

All the best,

Lothar

/ I've got the Snowthrower Shear Pin blues... #7  
Take the shear bolt out of the other side and put a stronger bolt in it. Then wedge pieces of pipe or 2x4 into the auger halfs and turn the one with the broken bolt until you get it to align with the hole and then punch it out.