Hydarulic line replacement

/ Hydarulic line replacement #1  

davegomolka

Tractor
'58 631 Workmaster
Hello all. My Ford loader (model 1708) on my Ford tractor (model 1920) has delevoped a leak on one of the hard hydraulic lines that run down the loader arm. I know replacment is pretty straightforward, loosen connections and replace line. However, I have never done this and I don't know if I have to bleed any pressure out of the lines first. Has anybody ever done this and do I have to bleed pressure? If so, how do I do it? Dont want to get sprayed with high pressure oil...

Thanks

/ Hydarulic line replacement #2  
Shut the engine off. Move all the hydraulic levers on the tractor. Dirt is your biggest enemy with hydraulics, CLEAN every fitting your taking apart and anything around the area. Have the new line there and replace. If not there cover the open ends of the lines. Replace the lines check the fluid levels and operate all hydraulics. Check for leaks, check the fluid levels and go and have a beer its Miller Time.

/ Hydarulic line replacement #3  
once you get it back together.. run all functions lock to lock to bleed it.. will be fine..

ditto on the advice from the other poster.

/ Hydarulic line replacement #4  
I always try to start with the hydraulic cylinders in that area as retracted as possible for easier bleeding. My opinion is the biggest favour you can do yourself is to make sure you have the right wrenches, not adjustable ones. Adjustable wrenches strip the lines too easily. if there is a leak don't touch it till its off and has bleed the pressure off on its own. cat litter is good at soaking up the oils that get away. good luck.